Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry Plum Tree Foliage problem

Posted by treenation 5B (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 18:34

Hi there... was wondering if anyone could tell me what seems to be the problem with the foliage on my cherry plum ('chum') tree? It's a young tree and I planted it a month ago. In the last 10 days the leaves as you will see from the video (follow URL accompanying message) have burnt or speckled holes through them.

I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada if that helps. It's supposedly a cold hardy tree. It's zoned 2 to 3.

If you can diagnose the problem what's the solution? Many thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Plum Tree Foliage Problem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry Plum Tree Foliage problem

Not sure,..it could be Shot Hole Disease, a bacterial pathogen.

o

I agree it looks like shot-hole, aka bacterial spot. Treat with dormant copper at leaf fall and again right before bud break in the spring. Google the term to read up on the disease.

Scott

o

Thanks for your insights guys. After reading up on shot hole disease I think that's what it is. But I don't like the idea of sitting around for a few months and only taking action in the fall.

A few things:

1- Is there anything I can do now to kill the disease?

2- If not, is there anything I can do now to prevent the further spread of the disease throughout my tree?

3- What can I do to prevent the spread of the disease to my neighbouring fruit trees/plants (i.e. asian pear, european pear, other chum tree, raspberries, strawberries, grapes)?

4- Should I remove and burn all damaged foliage? Prune the tree?

Thanks again
Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Plum Tree Foliage Problem

o

If there are enough non-damaged leaves it helps to remove the damaged ones. I have heard various proposals for other sprays to use in growing season but have not seen a convincing enough case for any of them.

Scott

o

Oh I forgot about your question 3. Your other chum tree is susceptible but none of the others - only stone fruits.

Scott

o

I think a healthy tree can overcome this problem,...had it on a plum tree once, so then I wanted to make a drastic change in diet/nutrient in the soil to see if it might work, not knowing what was lacking, this tree had also funny whitish leaves like mildew, I then dumped about a 100lb of cast iron shavings from the machine shop around, the tree has been good since.

o

Konrad is right, healthy trees can fight back and don't get spot as badly. I didn't notice the tree was a recent transplant, that means it is highly susceptible since it lacks good vigor. I would not worry so much, once the tree gets going it will be much more resistant to the disease.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here