Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
size of hardware cloth for berry bed cover/box

Posted by andyinnyc 6/NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 18:46

I have my strawberry beds covered in shade cloth 24x7 to stop the rabbits and chipmunks (and birds, and ...) from destroying the plants and fruit.

It's not an ideal solution (although free) since I have to move bricks, pull it back, etc. to get access to pick, weed, view, etc.

I would like to build (or convince my father in law :) ) a box over each of my raised strawberry beds. The sides and top will be hardware cloth over a wood frame. Each 14' bed will likely have two hinged lids to raise for weeding/etc. access.

The beds are 4' across, so I need 4' widths of hardware cloth to keep things easy. I have seen 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth which also has a vinyl coating - which would seem to be better wearing/less rusting, but I haven't seen this in 1/4" x 1/4" hardware cloth.

So, my questions are:

1. Will I need 1/4" x 1/4" hardware cloth to keep out the chipmunks? (they are so cute I just want to strangle them all! grrrr). I'm assuming this size will allow in all my beneficial insects.

2. If 1/2" x 1/2" will do, is there a real advantage to using the vinyl coated version?

3. If I don't use the vinyl coated, is there an advantage to painting all of the hardware cloth with Rustoleum? The hardware cloth is galvanized.

4. These strawberries are in raised beds; how high above the soil level should I have the sides of the hardware cloth box go? I assume 8 inches should be plenty?

5. Any tricks to working with hardware cloth? What type of fasteners work well for attaching it to the wooden frame? How easy is it to work with since I need it flat and it comes in rolls?

Wow, a lot of questions. But I do hate the wildlife around here.

Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: size of hardware cloth for berry bed cover/box

I'd use the 1/2" galvanized with no coating. Galvanized will last for years without any treatment. If you get it with vinyl or paint it, it will be heavier to lift and more sunlight will be blocked.

Bumblebees and some other good pollinaters aren't going to get through 1/4" mesh if you go that small. Plus the weight goes up quite a bit. Birds and chipmunks can't get through 1/2" mesh but mice can. If mice aren't a problem, use the 1/2"

Fasten the mesh to the frame with galvanized staples and put a 2" X 2" cross brace every 3 or 4 ft.

o
RE: size of hardware cloth for berry bed cover/box

In addition to the chipmunks I do have what I think are voles - which are basically the same size as mice.

Given my need to pollinate and my lust for vengence, what options would you suggest?

I can't really imagine using 1/4" for the sides and 1/2" for the top (assuming voles can't climb), but that's the only solution I can think of at the moment.

Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here