Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What fruit trees grow well and are easy to care for in Alabama?

Posted by Roberts2600 Zone 7A (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 18:48

I would like to know what fruit trees grow well and are easy to care for in North Alabama. Like Apple, Cherry, Plum, Peach, etc. I used to have some apple trees but then blow down a few years ago I guess because then had so many apples on them it pulled it over. If I go back with apple trees what are some easy ones to grow. Do I need to do anything special to them? Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What fruit trees grow well and are easy to care for in Alabam

I'm more or less in the same general fruit growing region and zone -- I'm in the northwestern NC Piedmont -- and based on my own experience and all the fruit trees I've observed in other people's yards in the area here are my lists. Trees I've seen produce good crops of fruit without having to spray and that seem otherwise fairly easy include figs, sour cherries, pears and especially Asian pears (except only the more fireblight resistant varieties), native persimmons, and mulberries. Pawpaws still haven't fruited for me after 5 years in the ground and they've been fussy to get established, but I've seen established pawpaws on other people's places that are super easy. I'm still waiting to see if jujubes will be easy and reliable. Although not trees, other perennial fruits I'd put on the relatively easy list are rabbiteye type blueberries, blackberries, and muscadine grapes, although building trellises is trouble and pruning for good production seems to be relatively more time-consuming with muscadines. I know about lots of backyard peaches in the area (including my own) but none that I would expect to find even one good peach on even one year in three. Brown rot is at least one big issue with backyard peaches. Plums seem to be more susceptible to late spring frosts in addition to disease/pest problems, although I have eaten a few (very few) local backyard plums. Apples seem to have lots of disease and pest problems, and I wouldn't put much hope even in the disease-resistant ones. I've seen some exceptional apple trees (not necessarily exceptional varieties but moreso exceptional specimens perhaps in exceptional locations) produce plentiful, edible crops, although every apple had bad cosmetic issues and there were plenty of worms and other insect damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here