Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
comma_gw

Are Bonfire Patio Peaches Edible?

comma
9 years ago

Hi guys. New to growing fruit.
I recently purchased a Bonfire Patio Peach (in a 7gallon container). It already has about 20 small peaches on it, but when I search for information about it, I get conflicting info on whether the fruit is edible or not.

I'd appreciate any help!
I live in NC. Any tips on care for the tree would also be very appreciated!

Comments (16)

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

From Edible Landscaping Nursery on Bonfire Patio peach "Fruits are cling stone with firm fruit used for canning, pickling, and pies. Can be eaten fresh but rubbery."

How big is your tree? If I were you, I'd thin out at least half of them. If you do not thin, your peaches are likely to stay small, so small that their usefulness is much reduced.

• comma
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ya, that's the site that says they are edible. Other sites say they aren't. I'm just scared to eat them if they are poisonous or something.

It's about 3 feet tall. I might thin out the fruit. Very new to this so I didn't know that too much fruit stunts growth of the fruit.

thank you!

• mownie
    9 years ago

I too had a recent question about an unknown tree at a house we are buying.
    The tree turns out to be Bonfire. It is also loaded with bunches of peaches.
    From my searches on this subject, I am learning that the fruit are not toxic, just unsavory. So, for their food value unto human consumption, they might as well be toxic.
    I included a link to my question thread about the tree so you can see other opinions.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'nuther Bonfire

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Maybe they can be pickled. I tried it once and it was bad, but maybe they are better than I remember?

• comma
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do you think they are harmful to try and eat or just bad tasting?

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

I don't think it'll be harmful. Since it's not for fresh eating and you don't know how big this peach will be, you should just leave 2 peaches on and thin the rest off. This way, they'll have a chance for maximize their size. You tree is also too small to carry many fruit.

Look like its value is more for ornamental than for consumption.

Later, you should report back what it tastes like after you try it.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

If it is a peach, it is not toxic -- sometimes inedible just means unpalatable, not dangerous.

I think some of the sources that talk about "edible landscaping" exaggerate the palatability/desirability of some things.

• hm1markrogers
    8 years ago

I have thinned the Bonfire peach as I do many others in the orchard. Will therefore let y'all know what I get. Def. not toxic since you read the cling variety is used in canning.

• mownie
    8 years ago

Alas, our Bonfire died over winter from an unknown cause.

We were anticipating a repeat of last year's vibrant color show, but springtime came and went without a single bud or leaf appearing. In the first week of July the tree was completely dry and brittle. Some small branches had already fallen off so I cut the tree off at ground level.

• Sandra Baumgartner
    7 years ago

I have had a beautiful bonfire peach tree for years and have yet to try the fruit. It produces numerous fruits (which I thin most out) that may get to be the size of a golf ball, fairly quickly. They never ripen. Last year I thought I might actually get a ripe peach or two but alas the squirrels got to them first. Squirrels aside, is there anything that can be done to promote ripening while the fruit are on the tree? Heartbreaking to get so far into the season and not have even one ripen. Thank you!

• tlbean2004
    7 years ago

I have a bonfire tree and i tasted one last year and it was awful! This year i removed all the fruit when they were very tiny. This tree is mainly for the foliage not for the fruit.

• gdorr84
    7 years ago

I have a bonfire peach. Lots of large peaches, about the size of a baseball. They are very good. I make jam, peach butter, chutney and what ever else I can think of to make.

• Sue Sands
    6 years ago

I just planted a bonefire peach tree a few weeks ago. My daughters dog just chewed the whole top with leaves off. Can it be salvaged and grow new leaves? I put top in water.

• tlbean2004
    6 years ago

It should sprout a new branch or two, I would be soooo upset.....

I remember last year some kind of a rodent broke one of the branches off of my tree!

• Sue Sands
    6 years ago

I was but also know she's a young dog who loves chewing. Things happen

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!