Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best source for Jupiter grapes

Posted by plant-one-on-me MI 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 18:54

I did a search on this site and found that many people recommend Jupiter as a good eating seedless grape. Anyone have a really good, reliable source to obtain the grapevines? Also is buying grapevines like other plants where you want to get older plants (like asparagus get 2 or 3 year old to produce quicker)?

Thanks in advance, Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best source for Jupiter grapes

I got my jupiters from Edible Landscaping this past March. They sell them in quart, gallon, 3 gallon or 5 gallon size. I have ordered other edibles from them for several years and any problems have been resolved to my satisfaction. The web site is www.ediblelandscaping.com.

Since I have many other grape varieties that are in full production, I only ordered the gallon size, but I have opted for larger size plants of other edibles. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how fast you want to harvest your crop.

o

Kim:

The size of grapevine you buy has little effect on how soon they fruit. I'd rather have a strong bare rooted plant than one in a pot. But the overriding factor is how good the growing conditions are after planting. The more growth you get the first two yrs, the faster a grape will bear. It's possible to get fruit the second yr. But striving for a third leaf crop is more realistic.

The Fruitnut

o

I have an Edible Landscaping Jupiter which is three years old and is barely reaching the top wire. It was a bit crowded out by nearby vines but I still think their small potted plants will not get you the fastest start. Maybe if I paid the $$ for the gallon size I would have been happier.

I find AA Vineyards the best place in terms of quality of grapevines. One Green World also sold me an amazingly vigorous Sweet Seduction this spring. After my EL Jupiter was going nowhere I ordered one from Raintree and it has also been doing well. All of these are bareroot.

Scott

o

My Jupiter is fruiting this year for the first time. It is 4 years old, but was killed back to near the ground last year during the big Easter freeze. It still managed to fill the trellis last year, and has a few straggly clusters. I am not spraying it this year, just to get a baseline on its disease susceptibility. Looks like I'll be lucky if any grapes ripen due to fruit rots and downy mildew. I grew mine from cuttings from Lon at www.bunchgrapes.com.

o

My experience with Edible Landscaping has been excellent, and their potted plants are shipped year round (as in right NOW). Starkbros.com has alwaysshipped me LARGE healthy bare root grapes, including Jupiter. Double A Vineyards (rakgrape.com) is the grape pro. My personal experience with Raintree grapes has been average to poor- I use them for grapes as a last resort. They seem to source their grapes from different and varying growers.

o

My two Jupiter grape vines came from Cloud Mountain Farm, as well as several other grape vines. The Jupiter grape vines have produced grapes their second year here. All the bare root grape vines they sent me have done well, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them as a source for grape vines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jupiter Dessert Grape

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here