Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meredith_e

How dry is too dry on hand watering various fruits and nuts?

At the moment, we are having too much rain, but it brought up a question. Before all the rain came, we were dry for a long while. I knew the rain was coming in 2 days, but I was afraid of letting my trees get too dry (like deadly dry) first. So I watered, but not deeply.

No foliage was wilting, but is that waiting too long if it does? Or is that just right before supplemental watering?

Then the specifics: The trees are all young, most as whips last year, with cherries and plums as new whips this year. The soil drains well only because it is sloped. Eventually the roots will hit red clay. The first couple of feet are amended for drainage and general texture.

I hate giving a big ol' list, but if anyone has tips on how dry is too dry for any of the following, please let me know :)

And if it's different for young trees versus trees meant to bear, please tell me:

Almond (All-in-One)
Native Filberts (not cultivars)
Apricots
Peaches
Nectarines
European pears
Japanese Plums
Duke Cherry (Sweet x Sour)
Sour Cherry
Canadian cherry 'Carmine Jewel'

We get some droughts in the summer where it's possible to be bone-dry for many days, so I have to get it right in my mind how dry they like it best. I don't want to hurt them either way! Thanks so much :)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company