Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeybell Tangelo problem

Posted by shawmcc Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 17, 10 at 19:02

I have a two-year-old honeybell tangelo tree. For the first time, it blossomed beautifully a month ago (early May), but produced zero fruit. Can anyone tell me what happened, and how to prevent this from happening in the future?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeybell Tangelo problem

Citrus usually don't need any cross-pollinators, so that's not the issue. I don't think it's very alarming to see no fruit set on a two year old tree, it's too young and obviously wasn't ready to bear any fruit. Most of the time, the culprit isn't enough fertilizer, so you can fix it easily by adding plenty of fertilizer.

To get citrus to really grow and bear lots of fruit, use Camellia, Azalea and rhododendron fertilizer, it's much better than any fertilizer labeled as "citrus" fertilizer. I've had great success with the acid loving fertilizer on over 40 different citrus varieties.

o
RE: Honeybell Tangelo problem

I can attest to that. I have scene Axel's citrus and all his trees couldn't look any more healthy. Fertilize like axel says and I bet next year you will have a bumper crop.

I have had really poor looking young citrus for a couple of years, due to very high water PH . I recently started adding some sulfur when I fertilize to help lower the PH. That made all the difference in the world. Citrus (and all of my other trees) are very green and growing vigorously. Kern

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here