Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Looking for 'Sandra Rose' Cherry Sources

Hoping you all can make suggestions as to where I can find this mostly commercial variety. I know ACN carries it, but they don't ship to California, which seems to be presenting a problem. I've checked with Fowler's Nursery in N. Calif., but they're not going to have them for 2013, and I think they are about the only source for a retail purchase. I've checked with several other commercial nurseries, Van Wells, Columbia Basin, Pro Tree, and Sierra Gold. Kind of out of options. Any suggestions welcomed. I'd really love to add this variety on something dwarfing, preferrably New Root 1.

Patty S.

Comments (8)

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Patty, I got a Sandra Rose from C&O a month ago. They had a dozen left then but I checked and there is none in the current inventory. But I expect they will have a fresh batch next spring. I ordered only two trees with the order, they are mainly wholesale but do retail as well.

BTW the trees were top quality, even though they had leafed out in the hot weather en route they are taking off in my orchard now.

Scott

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I called them, Scott. But if not, I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask if they plan on having 'Sandra Rose' in their cherry tree line up for 2013. Dang, wished I hadn't waited so long, I could have snagged one. What rootstock is yours on? Good to know their quality is high. Hope they can ship to Calif. We have so many restrictions with stone fruits coming into Calif. As an aside, we moved from Maryland (Columbia) in 2006, back home to Calif. Sure loved Maryland, it was a very pretty state, we enjoyed our three years there very much.

Patty S.

• waiting_gw
    11 years ago

I got one this year from Fowler Nursery in Newcastle. It's on Krymsk-5. I would have preferred it on Krysk-6 but they didn't offer it on 6 this year.

I don't think you'll find S-R on the Zaiger rootstock anytime soon. Dave Wilson seems to be the only one really using it (that's available to Californians) and they don't offer Sandra Rose at all.

I want a Skeena, an Attika, a Van, and something to pollinate my Hudson, on dwarf rootstock, and then I'll have every variety I want (until something else new and interesting comes along).

I'd like to have a Skylar Rae but "it is a club variety and the growers are limited to members of the marketing organization for the next 20 years."

gary

• waiting_gw
    11 years ago

C&O can/will ship cherry trees to California. I was going to get some from them this year but decided I'd already added enough for one year.

I think Washington and Oregon can ship cherry trees to California with no problems.

C&O used Gisela-6 and Mazzard for Sandra Rose this year. I don't know how Gisela-6 compares to Krymsk-5 but both are bigger than I'd really like.

I guess heavy pruning can fix that, though. The KGB training system supposedly limits height on any rootstock to 8'.

gary

Here is a link that might be useful: The KGB revealed

Original Author
    11 years ago

Gary, I had a nice chat with the folks at Fowlers. They didn't bud any 'Sandra Rose' for 2013, so I'm out of luck, there. I will definitely check to see if I called C & O on my phone upstairs (don't want them to think I'm some looney lady that can't remember who she called, which is probably actually the case, here.) I'd graft this myself if I can get some scionwood and a source for New Root 1. If I can't get any New Root 1 rootstock, I'll look for something as dwarfing as I can find. And what is the "KGB training system"?

Patty S.

• spartan-apple
    11 years ago

Hoosier:

David Schlabach of Schlabach's Nursery has listed it in the
    past (bare-root). You can check with him about spring 2013
    availability. They do take phone calls (morning preferred) at 585-798-6198. Schlabach's is in upstate New
    York so it is eastern time zone when you call.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Spartan. C & O is not growing 'Sandra Rose' for 2013. So, this may be my only option other than grafting. Appreciate it!

Patty S.

• persianmd2orchard
    11 years ago

The folks at Cummins nursery I think a son of Dr. Cummins praised the KGB training system to me--for the Hungarian sour cherries to help them fruit faster... maybe he liked that pruning system for all cherries. I had never gotten a chance to look more into it though so that KGB article is awesome! Thanks :).

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida