Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing vegetables in the lanes

Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 19:17

By now I am the proud owner of 20 or so fruit trees (apples, peaches, asian pears). As I contemplate all that mulch, I am tempted to grow some storage crops, where the drip lines are. There is a deer fence, and I am thinking of mostly storage crops, turnips, winter squash, shelling beans. Next year, add some shelling peas, melons, garlic and onions. As long as the root balls are small, surely I can grow potatoes. In a nutshell, those crops that you plant once, do not fertilize or fertilize once, and pick once, and can mostly fill freezer and root cellar. nothing too time consuming.

I figure that beans might attract Japanese beetles, but beyond that I can not see anything negative about it. The crops will inject some organic matter on soil and surface. Opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing vegetables in the lanes

Slightly different but I grow my watermelons and lopes between my grape rows and it works out well.

o

Cantaloupes wildly spreading under my fig trees. Doing great!

o

I have squash and tomatoes in a raised bed around one of my younger fig trees. They're all about the same size now...between two and three feet tall. No problems here.

o

I would personally plant the rows with a good cover crop compiled of nitrogen fixers and nutrient accumulators.

The best Nitro fixer is white clover, since it stays low. It also attracts beneficial insects. Legumes are nitrogen fixers, so peas and beans of all kinds would work quite well, especially if you multch the dead plant for the winter.

Nutrient acculumators have long deep rots which reach down deep into the soil, and pump up nutrients. All plants do this, but some better then others. Comfrey (make sure its the sterile "blocking 4" type), or yarrow are the best that ive read about, and native to north america (yarrow). Fennel does this well too (perennial types). You coudl also throw in some lupine, which is mostly a nitrogen fixer, but also has deep roots that pump up some nutrients.

Here is a good page from the Ontario gov, if you like credible sources of info :D

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/cover_crops01/choosing.htm

One would assume without supplimental fertilizer/companion plants the veggie garden will compete for nutrients with the trees, unless you do a lot of cover crops, interplanting and compost/manure addition. In other words, if you can keep the soil bursting with fertility, you should have no problem.

You may be interested in "forest gardening" as well.... which is essentialy what you speak of..

o

Potatoes seem to do very well for me in semi-shade under semi-dwarf fruit trees. Other things I grow under/between mine include leeks, rhubarb, garlic, squash, greens.

o

And I thought one was supposed to keep the area under our fruit trees weeded and mulched for summer. I would love to see photographs of these plantings. They sound beautiful. Mrs. G

o

Melons and winter squash qualify as mulch, and shelling peas and shelling beans qualify as nitrogen fixers. I doubt I will grow potatoes past the second year, but they, too, can mulch a wide area. In fact I left one particularly wide lane in the middle, for potatoes and sweet potatoes, after the trees have grown. The rest (turnips, beets, onion, garlic, asparagus on the perimeter) is just for more storage veggies. I suppose I could plant a few jalapeno, also for freezing. No carrots or parsnips, the soil is too hard.

I guess one would have to be careful with N, when the orchard is mature, not to affect the fruit quality. Likewise, no celery or cardoon, to avoid too wet soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here