Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Babcock white peach

Posted by agnellok Z9 So. Calif (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 19:21

Hi All,
In 2007, I planted a Babcock in the front yard.This year the tree set fruit, some are growing, but it seems the remaining
fruit is drying up and falling to the ground. I prune every year, the only thing that has changed is the watering ..I now water every two weeks instead of every week. I deep water for two hours. I also have NOT been fertilizing.
Why is the fruit dropping ?
Thanks for your help !!!
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Babcock white peach

Yikes. That sounds like actually not enough water to me, Karen! Do you only water your yard in S. California every 2 weeks!?! I water 2 to 3 times a week. You should fertilize your young tree, don't need to overdo it, but here in California, most of us do not have soils rich in organic matter. So mulch with compost and fertilize twice a year - once as the trees wake up, and then a second application after the fruit has been picked. I think your tree is struggling from not enough water and nutrients. And of course, you need to spray 3 to 5 times during the dormant season for Peach Leaf Curl. If not, this will eventually lead to the demise of your tree. Besides the dropping fruit, how does the rest of your tree look? Can you post photos?

Patty S.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 20:04

Karen:

What is the fruit like that is falling off?

Is it shriveled? Possible lack of adequate water.

Does it have a worm inside, holes in the fruit, or jelly like material ozzing out of the fruit? Possible oriental fruit moth.

Is the tree dropping any leaves or wilted? Or are the leaves perked up. Has the tree stopped growing entirely? Again possibly your new watering schedule isn't adequate.

A certain degree of water deficit will increase fruit eating quality. But the deficit is too severe if it causes the fruit to shrivel and fall.

o

Hi Hoosierquilt, I water my front yard about once a week. The blueberries get watered twice a week and the fig and peach tree every two weeks. I live in Costa Mesa, about a couple miles from the beach.
Hi Fruitnut,
My peach tree has plenty of leaf growth, no diseases or stunting. I have about 14 peaches ready to be picked. I just happened to notice that the smaller peaches emerging are not growing, but are drying up and falling to the ground.
I think you're both right, I think more watering is required. I will also be fertilizing.
Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here