Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

Eating Early Blush apricots in early June

alan haigh
11 years ago

On my site apricots along with the majority of my other fruit was frozen out, mostly by 26 degrees after everything but latest apples had dropped their petals. Did have some great blueberries here today, though.

Most of the orchards I manage are on kinder sites and a couple of Early Blush apricots had ripe fruit today as I tended to them in two separate locations.

I was very impressed by flavor, given that we've had a pretty wet, cool spring and the size of the fruit is like west coast. The first I sampled was on a site with relatively dry soil- a kind of water repellent silt. It was considerably sweeter than the four I filched from another tree growing in a very rich clay loam.

The main thing is having stone fruit to eat during cherry season! (The cherries are good here this year also, but recent rain has them cracking.) Even on the wetter site they are much better than anything I can buy, even some at a premium price supposedly picked ripe and rushed across country. They are doing some very good work for us eastern growers at Rutgers.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional