Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eating Early Blush apricots in early June

Posted by harvestman 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 19:21

On my site apricots along with the majority of my other fruit was frozen out, mostly by 26 degrees after everything but latest apples had dropped their petals. Did have some great blueberries here today, though.

Most of the orchards I manage are on kinder sites and a couple of Early Blush apricots had ripe fruit today as I tended to them in two separate locations.

I was very impressed by flavor, given that we've had a pretty wet, cool spring and the size of the fruit is like west coast. The first I sampled was on a site with relatively dry soil- a kind of water repellent silt. It was considerably sweeter than the four I filched from another tree growing in a very rich clay loam.

The main thing is having stone fruit to eat during cherry season! (The cherries are good here this year also, but recent rain has them cracking.) Even on the wetter site they are much better than anything I can buy, even some at a premium price supposedly picked ripe and rushed across country. They are doing some very good work for us eastern growers at Rutgers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eating Early Blush apricots in early June

My Flavor Delights are coloring up this week. Last year, they were ripe on July 13, after the Harglows, which struck out this year.

o

My Tomcot could be picked at any moment.

o

Harvestman, do both of the apricot locations have more than one or two other varieties of apricot as well? Pollination must have been far better than we all thought. I know your area is at least ten days to two weeks ahead of mine. Would any of those varieties of apricot be good with my Harglow?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here