Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry

Posted by mommomsgarden New Jersey (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 19:31

I planted my blueberry bush months ago and I have seen no growth at all! It's exactly the same size and the berries are just not growing! What am I doing wrong? Anyone have the low down on growing blueberries? Like I said in my watermelon post I am very new to this! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry

Hi mommom,
Is it getting a lot of sun?Was anything like Peat moss mixed in the planting hole?What's the pH of the soil?Is it being fertilized and if so,with what? Thanks,Brady

o

Your plant still looks healthy, but there are some things to do to help it's growth. Berries should be stripped off of a new plant so all of the energy can go towards the plant. New roots cannot support both berries and growth.

Blueberries like full sun. If the plant is not on the south side of that fence, it may not be getting enough sun.

o

It is Getting a lot of sun it is on the south side of the fence. I am pretty sure i mixed in Pete Moss in when I put down the soil. Is it too late to move the bush? I used miracle grow as fertilizer. I dont know the soul ph. What do you mean? Cut off the small berries that are on there?

o

mommom,
I also thought of one other thing.When I first started growing Blueberries,they were bought in gallon or so size pots.I never physically broke the root ball apart and planted it that way.The plants never seemed to grow much.
Then I learned about doing it and they grew faster.The plant still thinks it's inside the container if the roots are not loosened.
I don't think it's too late to move,just keep it moist.
Yeah,pulling the berries off now should help the plant grow better.Some people recommend doing it for the first two years. Brady

o

Thank you! With that being said, does it take years to grow edible berries?
I think I will move it in a more sunny spot and loosen the roots. What does Peat moss do to it?

o

The berries will probably ripen even in the first year if left on,but with possible expense to overall plant growth.
Peat moss is acidic,which Blueberries thrive better in and provides some organic matter. Brady

o

I'm no expert, but my blueberries were off to a slow start, too. I corrected it by watering more often. Less water than I normally give, but every day.

I also moved mine to a less sunny location (mine were in pots) and it seemed to help them.

As said above, you should check the ph of the soil and add an acidifier if necessary. Blueberries need acidic soil. There are some organic ways, like adding vinegar to your water or adding coffee grounds, but I just use a store bought acidifier.

If that were my plant, I wouldn't move it, unless you can do it without disturbing the roots at all. Every time you uproot a plant it stresses it out.

Your plant looks healthy, so I'd just pinch off the berries (actually, I'd save a few just so you can have a little taste and get some feeling of reward in the first year, but I'm really impatient) and keep the soil moist. Since it looks healthy, it has probably been sending its energy to the roots and to the berries, and if you move it, you risk wasting all of the plants efforts in strengthening the root system.

o

M....think acidic soil. This is what bb's want. Research on these posts how to accomplish that. gl

o

Thank you all so much I ended up buying a store-bought acidifier. I also clipped off the berries. I'm hoping this works! I didn't touch the roots. Do you think I should still loosen them up instead is moving the bush entirely?

o

What is the store-bought acidifier?
If the plant is going to be dug up to loosen the roots,it won't matter too much if it's moved or not. Brady

o

I wouldn't mess with the roots.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 9:31

Blueberry shrubs can be successfully dug up and moved in the fall, around September 15. It will be less stressful to the plant if this is done in damp and overcast weather. If that is not possible, then the transplant operation can be done in the early spring, when the shrub is still dormant, before it has leafed out. As soon as the snow melts, and the ground is frost free, perhaps after March 15, and before April 15, would be an appropriate time.

o

It is always best to move plants when not actively growing to reduce shock. It seems to me your plant is not actively growing. Whenever you transplant...keep roots wet.

o

I forget the brand babe but its uses specifically for blueberries and hydrangeas. Why isn't my plant growing? Seema like they grow slowly?

o

mommom,
Is it Aluminum Sulfate?
If it is,I'd probably not use it and switch to Ammonium Sulfate.There is something I keep reading about the Aluminum is not good for Blueberries.
Ammonium Sulfate on the other hand is a fertilizer and adds acid.If using it,I recommend mixing a tablespoon to about 2-3 gallons of water and apply once per week,just like your normal amount when watering and If that doesn't start it growing,I not sure what to say,because it is one of the best ways to put on growth.
Funny,maybe it's where I live,but I've never had problems planting now. Brady

o

Hi Brady thanks for the feedback. Do you know where I can buy ammonium sulfate? Is there a certain brand name? I looked on the bag and it said nothing about aluminum sulfate

o

Ammonium Sulfate should be at most garden centers,Home Depot and I think Lowes sells it where I'm at.It is 21-0-0,all Nitrogen.Quite inexpensive also.
The reason why I thought yours is Aluminum Sulfate,is because it is usually associated with Hydrangeas,to make them blue, by way of it's acid.
There's no ingredients list on the bag? Brady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here