Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jude123_gw

gooseberries

Jude123
10 years ago

I have a gooseberry bush that was given to me from a start of one of hers when she divided it years ago. I have no idea what type is. It has never produced any fruit. It blooms and then teeny tiny berries appear (about the size of a pencil tip) then in a few days they disappear! You can even see the little white stripes on the tiny berries. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Also, where can you buy gooseberry bushes? They are hard to find here in Bloomington, Indiana. I have ask the nurseries and they don't have them and have no idea where to get them. I remember picking and eating my mamma's berries when they turned ripe and love them. No pies, I just like eating them like you would a handful of blackberries. YUM! Does anyone know anything about these? Where to find so I can replant or/and why mine has never produced fruit? Thanks, Judy

Comments (9)

• eboone_gw
    10 years ago

I grow a couple plants but am not an expert. Could be a soil condition or disease-I had a powdery mildew problem a few years ago and though my plants survived they never seemed to have the same vigor again. I plan to replace mine soon in another location. You might think of doing the same. Plants are available at many online nurseries-search under 'gooseberry plants'. I really liked my yellow and red varieties- think they were Finnish cultivars. Gooseberry pie is something special and unique.
    I am linking an article below on raising gooseberries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gooseberry cultivation

• dmtaylor
    10 years ago

Sorry but I do not know what has happened to your existing plant. However... some good news...

One of the best berry nurseries is right there in your home state! I picked up a Hinnomaki Red gooseberry plant this year from Indiana Berry. Look them up. They have several other varieties as well but HR is supposed to be one of the best. I also got some hardy blackberries from them and of course the have dozens of all different types of berries.

This post was edited by dmtaylor on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 7:48

• eboone_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, Hinnomaki Red was one of my varieties too - good productivity, good flavor

• fireweed22
    10 years ago

Actually all my plants purchased in 1 gallon pots fruited their first year. Now in year three, they are loaded! And there's I believe 7 different varieties, all the common ones.
    So I don't think it's an age thing.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

When you say the embryonic berries 'disappear' do you mean literally? Or do they just drop off before maturing? If they disappear completely I would suspect something eating them. Here birds and squirrels will eat unripe berries.

• grow_darnit
    10 years ago

I was just about to ask that same question. If you see berries and then they disappear without a trace I'd blame wildlife. I have about half a dozen nice big gooseberry bushes and if I don't net I barely see any fruit. Between a friendly neighborhood possum, a couple of raccoons, birds, and squirrels they strip them clean. Same with cherries (both sweet and tart), blueberries and currants. If you see them on the ground it could be several things. Some varieties are more fussy and will drop fruit if the soil is too dry, or too wet, or if there were low temperatures during blooming, or your neighbor sneezed when the moon was full, the tulips already opened and two of your windows face east. My Jeanne dropped most of its fruit this year and it's in full sun, but Pixwell, Poorman and Jewel in semi-shade are covered in fruit. You'd think with the amount of rain we are having this year it would be opposite. Go figure! Gooseberries are self-fertile, so bad pollination is not likely to be your main problem.
    Your best bet with getting new varieties would be mail order. Whitman Farms Nursery has an incredible variety and Lucille is a delight to talk to. Can't recommend her enough! One Green World offers several varieties as well. Hope this helps!
    Grow

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitman Farms Nursery

• greendumb
    10 years ago

I have a couple of poor man gooseberries that leaf out wonderfully each year and the plants are 4 years old and very big. I found out the reason I have never had fruit and probably never will is lack of chill requirements. They need 800-1000 chill hours and I receive between 400-700.

• shane11
    10 years ago

Another outstanding gooseberry variety is 'welcome'. It is available from Whitmans mentioned below. My bush is loaded this year and they make the best jam and fools. I have never had gooseberry pie but I bet it is delicious.