Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsg47

Good news!

mrsg47
10 years ago

After two weeks of my peach trees losing leaves (probably due to too much rain), my peach trees have all new leaves and are flourishing. My plums have 'shot hole' which I'm trying to keep under control. I gave my orchard the 4th spray of triaz. immunox and captan today. I will finally net my Italian plums tomorrow.

Once again my Montmorency cherry will produce about 40 cherries,after 7 years. I think it is too shaded and might need a second tree for better pollination.

Comments (13)

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

It is still 40 more cherries than I can grow:)

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bamboo, cherry will be shipped in ice! :)

• Noogy
    10 years ago

I finally have some cherries of my mt morency too, but the real winner is north star. Small, tree form and absolutely loaded! I just have to train my daughter not to pick the orange ones. The reds are sour enough! Very nice. I hope CJ and Crimson passion are as loaded.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

That's great MrsG47! I grow in 2 places, my house, and my cottage. Both were wet this year, as usual in the spring. My cottage is the challenge,. 35 miles away at home the air is so dry, and the ground so absorbent, even with heavy rains soon everything is super dry. I'm lucky at home the environment is near perfect to grow fruit trees.
    I lost plants at my cottage, but nothing at home,
    Enjoy the small harvest!

• ltilton
    10 years ago

3 gallons from my White Gold tree - would have been more but for the damnable birds.

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

I had about 20 on my 2nd leaf Northstar. The day after I saw them turn the lightest red, they were all gone. It's not worth it to net when there are that few, but next year I'll net it. I've also got ~10 on a 2nd year potted Balaton (in a netted area with my potted blueberries). I'm still letting them ripen more, but from the few I've tried, they are sour, but reasonably tasty.

• Noogy
    10 years ago

I notice some insect damage on mt. morency but none on the northstar. Curculio is back. damn things

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

I also get curc on my Monty. I sprayed Surround this year so I didn't get much damage. I have about a gallon picked in the fridge and another gallon left on the tree.. I am debating what to cook up with them. This year I netted for the first time so I'm getting more fruit than usual.

Scott

• brookw_gw
    10 years ago

Birds left me alone this year, but we got hit really hard by 'coons. it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't destroy the branches so badly!!! Nearly half the limbs were broken in one tree.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Brook,

Buy a driveway alarm.....like $13 at Harbor freight. It will warn you when a coon gets in the tree then you can take care of it from there. I use them here for armadillos and surprisingly snakes that are stealing eggs.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I had bad curc damage this spring and sprayed acetamiprid, which someone here claimed to have a kickback effect. It sure seems to, because I just picked a lot of sound cherries with curc scars and less than a handful with larvae.

Also J plums getting large with curc scars, clearly not infested.

Half the apricots fell, with larvae, but I still have a few left that seem to be OK, and the Stanley plums aren't so far falling like they usually do this year.

I'm getting convinced that the acetamprid worked where the triazicide failed.

• brookw_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks, Bamboo. I'll remember that when we get a building and start staying down there. Right now, we live 30 miles from our farm. Our "paying jobs," though, are only a mile away. By the way, we are having a bumper harvest w/our blueberries, and I'm finding borderline Southern varieties perform very well here. Misty, in particular this year, was outstanding. I've also invested in Sweetheart, Jubilee, O'Neal, and Sharpblue along w/more intermediate varieties like Legacy. I still have 30 or so Northern varieties, but they struggle getting established. I have yet to lose a blueberry to winter but many to our super hot summers. I have little doubt though that this experiment will bring about another climate change, forcing me to replace my stock yet again.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

Coons can be stopped from climbing a tree by stapling aluminum roofing coil around the trunk if you train it with at least 3' of straight trunk before having first scaffolds. For squirrels you need about 4'.

This method is entirely reliable for coons- at least the ones in my neck of the woods.

Of course they are also easy to trap and kill, but if you only have a few fruit trees roofing coil is easier. I'd hate to have to wake up in the middle of the night to shoot coons. I get pretty tired of shooting them during the day.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21