Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple tree help

Posted by PurrpleSocks NC (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 19:45

I've had a dwarf red delicious apple tree in my back yard since 1999. It gives many apples each year. Leaves look healthy. Branches have been growing every year. I've noticed these weird black/brown decayed looking patches on some of the branches over the past few years. It hasn't seemed to affect the tree's health so I haven't looked into it. But now I'm concerned because the number of these areas are increasing. I've snapped a picture of the area in question. I'll try to get better pictures tomorrow. Also, I found something else on the tree that was weird too. Any idea what these things are? Are they bad? Do I need to do anything? Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: The photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple tree help

The first photo looks like some kind of lichens, while the second looks like a fire blight canker. Delicious trees are supposed to be fairly fire blight resistant, but that could be minimized by the dwarfing rootstock.

o
RE: Apple tree help

The black and white stuff appears to be a fungus. I'm not sure if it is harmful or not. Application of a fungicide might not be a bad idea.

The black canker is a bacterial infection. Any limbs with cankers should be removed. If it is on the main trunk, your tree will live for a while with it, but eventually it may kill the tree. Copper spray can minimize the spread but probably will not be able to kill it 100%.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here