Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Braeburn and Zestar apples

Posted by bhawkins 8a Dallas (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 19:45

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of trying these next. Anyone have any luck with thm?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Braeburn and Zestar apples

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 12:03

I grew Braeburn in Amarillo and didn't like it enough to keep. It didn't seem to take the heat that well. I believe I read that somewhere once so that may be why I decided such was the case.

I've got Zestar but it hasn't fruited yet.

Check out the posts of applenut. He's got a list of 20 best apples for Riverside CA, about as hot as Dallas. Here's the ones of his that sounded good for here: Hawaii, Wealthy, King David, Red Boskoop, Dixie Red Delight, Lady Williams, and Sierra Beauty.

Womack's claims Mollies Delicious is good and I've read that elsewhere.

o

Thanks Fruitnet. I look at the Kuffel Creek site often; also the Love Creek orchard site in San Antonio. If both you and Kuffle creek haven't had luck with the Braeburn, maybe I'll cross that off my list & go with the Hawaii instead; though Braeburn is often the best in the grocery store.

Currently I have planted Enterprise, Fuji, Gala, Golden Delicious, Golden Sentinal, Goldrush, Mollie Delicious, Mutsu, Pink Lady, Pixie Crunch, Red Sentinal, Wickson Crab, & Williams pride. If the squirrels/bugs don't get them, I should get my first apples this year, from the Goldrush, Williams Pride, Wickson, & Pixie Crunch.

I've decided to add the Jonagold, & maybe the Jonathan. Zestar is intriguing as its a parent of the Sweet Tango, but I haven't seen much feedback on it here.

What would you add?

Thanks,

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 16:13

One I've had my eye on to add is Winecrisp from Adams County Nursery. Says it does very well in hot dry areas. It's late maturing and stores very well.

Another I grew in Amarillo but haven't fruited here yet is Jonalicious from Cummins nursery. It's a sweet tart and was very good upstate.

Applenut seems to think Honeycrisp does well in the heat but mine hasn't fruited yet. Everyone I've bought in the store has been dreadful, picked green, but it must have something going for it. Commercial growers are still getting very high returns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here