Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bare root cherry damaged in shipping?

Posted by cest_lovage 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 19:45

I have just received a package of bare root trees and shrubs. One tree, a North Star dwarf has no roots, just a chopped off base like a hop rhizome. It looks like there might be some tiny hairy roots, but no taproot.

Is this normal, or was it damaged during shipping?
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bare root cherry damaged in shipping?

Cest,
Maybe I do not know enough of the world, and also I do not know where you write from, (it is helpful if you indicate it!).
But sending deciduous plants, bare root, in June I think it is folly, ...to send them and ask to have them.

The bare-root plants (deciduous) have to be sent before or just after the last frosts, but may be that where both are now in the last frosts, ....here at my cherries (fruits) are already mature.
The bare-root plants are precisely with roots, ...as a rule, but often are used cuttings as rootstock, and than with few roots.
The system is to run the plant, and see if it develops.
Outside of this is risky to make assessments, proof of the facts will give you the correct answer.
Sergnic

o

Hi Sergnic
I am in northern USA, so frosts have recently past.
I wish I could be in beautiful Italy like you. Fond memories of past visits.

o

Cest, I have to say, even for you in NH, it's awfully late to be getting anything bare root. You didn't mention what nursery you ordered from? You should have SOME root structure. Doesn't sound like it was damaged in shipping, it sounds like this is how it came from the grower. Let us know what grower/nursery you ordered from. Many folks on this list are familiar with a broad range of growers. We can let you know if you're working with a reputable one. And, that being said, you need to contact the grower. Send a photo of the tree in the box and what it looked like when you opened it. Ask for a replacement or refund. Pretty hard to get a tree to grow with no roots.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here