Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Haralson vs. Honeycrisp apples?

Posted by nick_b79 4/5 Southeast MN (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 19:55

My wife and I like both apples equally well for fresh eating, and I need to replace a Honeycrisp that was killed by root damage from gophers. I'm wondering if there's any benefits, such as longer storage times or better baking qualities, with the Haralson over the Honeycrisp? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Haralson vs. Honeycrisp apples?

Personally, I wouldn't get a Haralson, had one and didn't like the apple,..it might be better for storage and the taste might get better,.. that I haven't tested, to me it was a poor tasting apple,...but then some people like a dry hamburger over a juicy stake.

o

zestar has better storage honeycrisp, reportedly.

o

I don't think Zestar! has better storage, that's an early apple. Honeycrisp matures much later and should last several months in a refrigerator. Now, a Zestar! is better for baking

My grandparents have a Haralson and hate it. Mostly because it's a strongly biennial bearer (only produces apples every other year). They like it fine for baking and applesauce, they are not big fresh apple eaters. If you're deciding between the two, I'd go for Honeycrisp. If you want other options, I hear Keepsake is a good apple. It's a parent of Honeycrisp, and stores a long time.

o

Nick:

I grow both Haralson and Honeycrisp. Since I once lived in Minnesota, I am familiar with both. Honeycrisp is great to eat fresh but is the absolute worst apple for cooking I have ever tried to cook with. I would cook with
red delicious before I ever try cooking with Honeycrisp again.

Haralson was the #1 apple in Minnesota for at least 50 years until Honeycrisp was developed and is now #1 in popularity. I am not a Minnesota native but lived there for 8 years. I found Haralson to be a nice hard, tart apple. No it is not by favorite but many people from Minnesota and SW Wisconsin have a cult following for it.

For baking purposes I like NW Greening and Regent. Both are popular in Minnesota and should be readily available.
Just my preference. I also enjoy Cortland for cooking too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here