Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kumquat fertilizer recommendation

Posted by yaso 8a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 19:58

This winter I got a Sweet Kumquat tree from Costco grown by Saxon Becnel and Sons nursery. The plant tag doesn't give the variety name, since it is a sweet Kumquat, I assume it to be a 'Meiw' variety after checking the Saxon website.

Kumquat may not survive the Dallas winter, so I grow it in a container. It has already flowered and I see tiny baby fruits. I started to notice few leaves turning to light yellow, not sure whether it is because of watering issue, usual suspect being the pH level or lack of fertilizer. I was told not to add fertilizer for one year as the potting mix is already mixed with slow release fertilizer. If it is a fertilizer issue, I would like to get fertilizer recommendation for this Kumquat. In Home Depot, I saw Espoma Citurs-tone, please let me know whether it can be used for Kumquat. Thanks

Attached is the picture showing couple of yellow leaves.

This post was edited by yaso on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 20:06

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kumquat fertilizer recommendation

IIR, the citrus tone was a great fertilizer. I have 3 potted citrus (one meyer melon, one tango mandarin and one seedling lemon, from I think a meyer). They seem to need a bit more babying then most plants, and need a ton of micronutrients to do well, other wise youll see discolouring of the leaves, and lack of vigour. Many citrus trees ive seen in pots are a bright yellow, usually meaning lack of nutrients.

Unfortunately, citrustone is unavailable here, other wise id use it on everything for the most part....

o

• Posted by yaso 8a (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 11:41

Thanks canadianplant, Espoma claims the Citrus-tone to be an Organic fertilizer, so it looks good for me.

I just have only one Citrus plant and Citrus-tone comes in 4lb bag, not sure how long the potent of the fertilizer stays or I may have to check whether it can be used other fertilizers.

o

VIGERO
-------------------------------------TOTAL----------- SOLUBLE
BORON-------------L------------- 0.02%----------- 0.02
COPPER-----------O------------- 0.05%----------- 0.01%
IRON ---------------W -------------1.60%-----------0.90%
MAGNESIUM----------------------1.50%----------- 1.50%
MANGANESE------P------------- 0.05%----------- 0.01
MOLYBDENUM----H -------------0.00%-----------0.0
SULFUR----------------------------5%---------------5.0
ZINC-----------------F------------- 0.05%----------- 0.01%
n---------------------O-------------10%
P---------------------O------------- 8%
K---------------------D------------- 8%

and Miracid 30-10-10

The vigero was mixed in the soil at planting and the miracid is used for watering and foliar feeding. ,the trees are dark green and growing fast. I saw your thread before I got help with the same issue. the advice I got is click below. You may have seen it.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg062354098834.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here