Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ferroplasm

Please advise on my stressed Fuyu Persimmon

ferroplasm Zone 7b
10 years ago

Purchased at the end of May and planted June 1. This persimmon had a poorly developed root system, the soilless mix all fell away when I cut away the pot.

Planted in a hole amended only with some crabshell meal, kelp meal, and a bit of lime. Very conservative. Mulched with pine bark mulch and kept evenly moist but not too wet with a tree gator jr.

It's looking quite stressed there are some leaf hoppers and aphids or maybe persimmon psyllid. Some leaves are curled inward and secured with a webbing/silk type of material. Very small ants are frequenting these leaves.

There also seem to be small fissures in the bark. Only one or two.

I dusted with Bonide Garden Dust last Saturday, June 15. Just last night, June 20, I noticed more inward curling of the leaves and aphids and sprayed with insecticidal soap.

This evening the ants have returned. What are my options moving forward? I am thinking it may need some shade, as it gets 8+ hours of full sun. Your advice is appreciated.

{{gwi:116299}}

{{gwi:116300}}

{{gwi:116302}}

{{gwi:116304}}

{{gwi:116305}}

Comments (2)

• murkwell
    10 years ago

It doesn't look that bad to me.

• maryhawkins99
    10 years ago

Yes looks ok to me too. Full sun is ok. Perhaps it should have been cut back when planted, sounds like it was a bare root tree put ino a pot; but I'd leave it alone now. Many of my persimmons have looked a little sickly the first year, they don't seem to like being moved.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner