Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please advise on my stressed Fuyu Persimmon

Posted by Ferroplasm 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 19:59

Purchased at the end of May and planted June 1. This persimmon had a poorly developed root system, the soilless mix all fell away when I cut away the pot.

Planted in a hole amended only with some crabshell meal, kelp meal, and a bit of lime. Very conservative. Mulched with pine bark mulch and kept evenly moist but not too wet with a tree gator jr.

It's looking quite stressed there are some leaf hoppers and aphids or maybe persimmon psyllid. Some leaves are curled inward and secured with a webbing/silk type of material. Very small ants are frequenting these leaves.

There also seem to be small fissures in the bark. Only one or two.

I dusted with Bonide Garden Dust last Saturday, June 15. Just last night, June 20, I noticed more inward curling of the leaves and aphids and sprayed with insecticidal soap.

This evening the ants have returned. What are my options moving forward? I am thinking it may need some shade, as it gets 8+ hours of full sun. Your advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please advise on my stressed Fuyu Persimmon

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 1:56

It doesn't look that bad to me.

o
RE: Please advise on my stressed Fuyu Persimmon

Yes looks ok to me too. Full sun is ok. Perhaps it should have been cut back when planted, sounds like it was a bare root tree put ino a pot; but I'd leave it alone now. Many of my persimmons have looked a little sickly the first year, they don't seem to like being moved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here