Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange pear blossums on new wood?

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 20:03

I have a pear tree and blossomed the first time. About two weeks later some more blossoms appeared on new wood, about 3 inches at end of new growth.

What do you make of this? I know, some stress factors on apples can push out flowers in mid season, never seen it on pears before,...did you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange pear blossums on new wood?

My Bartlett routinely throws some new flowers about 3-4 weeks after the spring bloom, and then a few sporadically for the next 3-4 weeks. Some of them have even set and grown into small, late pears for me. Funny, this year, when it was loaded with bloom and all were lost to frost, not a single one of these weird blooms has appeared yet, although by the calendar it's not quite time, generally they appear from about mid June to about mid July, so perhaps I'll get lucky yet and get a pear or two, albeit about the size of a Seckel at best.

o

I've had late pear blooms too. They don't seem to work out to anything here.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 8:52

Konrad,

They are common in warmer areas for pears. They are called rat-tail blossoms.

They are considered a negative because they provide a source for fireblight infection. I doubt you have a problem with fireblight though, so you can probably ignore them. I remove them anytime I see them.

o

I walked by the Bartlett this morning. Woo hoo, 2 open blooms and 2 buds. Pear crop 2012 awaits me! I hope I'm not overburded by the massive quantity and size these may be.

o

Hah. You sound like me. I have 4 or 5 blossoms on my Seckel with swelling at the ova. I may have a few Seckel pears this year, yippee.

Patty S.

o

Thank you all!
So I guess it's not that uncommon to have such a thing.
Olpea,..good point about taking flowers off, I might just do it because fireblight seems to be around here, it hasn't been bad lately.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here