Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry leave damage

Posted by sharppa 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 20:04

Anyone recognize this leaf damage on a Jersey blueberry and have suggestions of a remedy? This is one of 5 Jersey in a row and the only one showing significant damage. The little black beetle is the first insect I've seen on the plant so far. It was bare root last spring and has grown well along with the rest of the plants.

Soil pH was 4.2 from the extension office with low magnesium. (See my other post a few weeks about epsom salts, etc.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry leave damage

Hmm, after some google searches....maybe blueberry leaf beetle?

Sounds rare up here in PA but the leaf damage and black bug matches the description pretty well.

o

Looks more like frog eye leaf spot

o

Have you seen that before on blueberries? I found lots of hits about it on soybeans but very little about blueberries.

Here another picture from 5 days ago in better light.

o

I have seen it on blueberries, here in Florida. It is what it looks like though....unless you have had a hail storm lately.

o

It may also be Anthracnose Leaf Spot.
Has there been a lot of rain?It can transfer the spores onto the leaves from the ground by splashing. Brady

o

Sure looks like Anthracnose to me. Seen it on my Blackberries and it looks darn near exact down to the coloring of the "canes". The damage to the limb itself is what is saying anthracnose instead of beatle damage. Just an educated guess though nothing for certain.

This post was edited by ABz5b on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 0:16

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked out the plant this morning and spent some time watching it and figured it out. It's infested with bagworms. After figuring out what the little pods were and seeing them move, I killed about 50 of them and found a few on neighboring plants.

Maybe a touch of Anthracnose on the stem I guess.

o

Looks like good link for worms female don't travel so you got them until kill all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bagworms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here