Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White spots on my Lychee tree

Posted by Enjoyingthesun QLD AU (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 20:16

Hi Everyone,

Im wondering if someone can help me..Im new to growing Lychee trees. I have had them (3 different varieties) for about 1 year and they seem to be growing fine...New leaves forming almost every 2 to 3 months and they have tripled in size. But i have noticed some of them are getting this white powdery stuff on the branches...i can wipe it off with my hands but there seems to be more and more forming...Its not all over the tree but there are a few clusters over some parts of the tree.some on the branch joints and some on the middle of some branches...

I really love my trees and i want them to continue thriving so ant help or advice would be much appreciated..

PS:I live on the Gold coast of Queensland Australia.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White spots on my Lychee tree

bird poop?

o

The focus is very blurry so can't bet money on my guess, but I'd say that they are a cottony scale or a mealybug or a woolly aphid.

o

Thanks for the replies....Sorry for the blurry shot . I tried to get as close as possible to the affected area but the focus would not work so well on my camera.

I looked up mealybug and it seems to be the closest to what i have on my tree..although the affected area is so small its too difficult to see if it is...but thats the closest i think.

what do you think the best method of getting rid of them without much affect to the tree is?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here