Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach Tree

Posted by Mrainey1234 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 20:19

Should I remove all the branches growing and leave just the main vertical branch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach Tree

I would do the opposite, remove all vertical branches. You want an open vase with a peach tree. Here's one of mine.

o

Drew, Could looking tree, Is that paint you have on the bottom trunk?

o

Wow, Just realized I wrote COULD instead of GOOD, Time for a nap.

o

I still understood what you meant! Yes, it's in full sun, it protects the trunk from sunburn, and also stops the trunk from heating up during the winter. If cells in the trunk get warm enough during a sunny winter day, and the temps drop at night, you could have cell damage. I had one peach lose it's central leader last winter. It was not painted. Luckily the very base of the plant was still alive above the graft.
Instead of developing a new central leader, I just let it form new scaffolds. It's super low, but what the hey!
All branches are new growth from this year. Some water sprouts (vertical branches) I need to prune out.

o

I don't know how much it will matter being in a pot like that. I would just let it be...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here