Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rowdy_gw

Blueberries not growing well

rowdy
11 years ago

Need a little help. My parents gave me their blueberry bushes. I have very sandy soil that drains quickly so I do what I usually do. I dug a decent hole, put in plenty of peat moss and a little Sulfer. Plants started out with some great growth but now they are kind of stagnant. My parents insist they need afternoon shade. I have them in 100% sun. Leaves look a little yellow. I make sure the soil is moist. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any help appreciated.

Comments (8)

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

I would turn yellow around with application miracle Acid on foliage and in watering weekly after yellowing goes away and strong yellowing want but lite yellowing will if yellowing set its to late for those leaves. Older leaves don't change color as easy as younger ones. Organic fertilizer with pasteurized chicken litter hand full on to side plant that work for about 2 months. The recovery of foliage will detect time stop miracle acid application seventh day application.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

There's a number of things to try.If it's possible to find the pH of the soil and water,optimum should be 4-5.
    A little Ammonium Sulfate in water,about 1 Tablespoon per 2-3 gallons,once a week.
    Some people use Iron Sulfate or Iron Chelate to get the leaves green.
    If it's available,get some Pine bark and mix it in and use it as a mulch for the long run. Brady

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

If your water source is alkaline and soil is sandy, meaning frequent watering is necessary, you may be best off putting a barrow at the base of a gutter and watering them with rain water.

Fish aquarium supply stores often have a basic pH tester for water which you could try or have your tap water tested. You need to test your soil pH as well, which your local county cooperative extension will do for a nominal cost. I assume they can also test your tap water.

• steveinjersey
    11 years ago

Blueberry farms here in NJ have acres of blueberries in full sun. They grow famously well. If you were in Arizona, maybe you would want some afternoon shade, but in Illinois shade should not be an issue.

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

Newly moved old bushes are out of balance with roots digging up moving loses almost all new hair roots. Did you balance tops with roots? shade will help and prune tops down half way like I posted above feed leafs and water with feed miracle acid until new roots grow take about 4 months water miracle acid once week.

• riverman1
    11 years ago

All good advice,I have pulled some sick plants back by foliar feeding as gator suggested so you might try that. Gator when you foliar feed do you use full strength on the miracle grow?

RM

• rowdy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did prune the plants back. I have them mulched with pine bark. I don't feed them that often. I will try to take a picture of one of the plants and post it later tonight.

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

Gator when you foliar feed do you use full strength on the miracle grow?

Yes teaspoon to gallon if plant in way to much shade I use half that for in doors plants.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals