Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can anyone solve my concord grape issue? (pic)

Posted by ezours washington (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 20:34

My Concord grape vines here in Washington state have plentiful initial sets but 2 weeks later its like some of the tiny grapes explode or have that starburst effect. so what's happening here? The vines are well drained and fertilized. Thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can anyone solve my concord grape issue? (pic)

Simply put, the initial "grapes" you see are not grapes, but the buds of grape flowers. The "starburst" is the actual flower, which will turn into a grape. In other words, nothing is wrong with that picture, your plant is happy! Look at the images...

Here is a link that might be useful: Grape Flowers

o

Thanks for educating me. All this time I thought this was a problem. From the images shown mine don't develop as much. Anything I should be doing to enhance the clusters? Thanks again

o

I have the same thing happing to my grapes. I thought I had some kind fungus or something.

o

Since I don't know what conditions your grape is growing in, I would recommend the following: Full sun, water, fertilizer, and good air circulation. I don't know what to fertilize grapes with, but I would think that you would want less nitrogen than phosphorus and potassium, fert. bags are have three numbers: N-P-K (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium), look for a lower first number. I would recommend using an organic fertilizer as well, because you are less likely to burn the plant if you overdo it.
I think the flower size looks fine. Have the grapes been unusually small in the previous years?

o

not small, but certainly not the full bunches that one would expect.

o

not small, but certainly not the full bunches that one would expect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here