Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White fungus on my grapes (the fruit, not the leaves).

Posted by silent88 So. California (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 20:35

Hello everyone,

I was so excited that my flame seedless grapes seemed to be doing well, but it appears quite a few bunches have this white mold on some grapes (and some of the stems within the bunches). It seems like it's only in the ones I paper-bagged :/ but then again, I paper bagged most so it's hard to tell. Anyways, is there anything I can do? Obviously I don't wanna be spraying chemicals onto the grapes themselves. I think ill begin by trimming off the most infected grapes? But there's some noticeable fungi on the stems of the bunches. Maybe a soap spray and rinsed off after? Not sure. :/

Maybe if I remove the bags it will go away? Anyways, recommendations are welcome thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White fungus on my grapes (the fruit, not the leaves).

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 21:45

That's powdery mildew. Quit common on grapes in CA, in fact to be expected. Spraying really needs to begin when the shoots are about 8-12 inches long, several months ago. But you could stop it from getting worse by spraying now, if you are willing and able to find and use the right material..

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis grape powdery mildew

o

Hmmm, so it's normal to spray grape bunches? I always thought I should avoid spraying the actual fruits I will eat. Do you have any recommendations for a common fungicide that is safe for eating?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 23:30

The UC Davis guidelines give organically acceptable fungicides if that's what you want. And yes nearly all the grapes grown in CA are sprayed for PM. When I lived near Fresno they were spraying their grapes all summer, mostly with sulfur.

o

I had powdery mildew covering the entire grape clusters in previous years, in one area.

This year I started spraying with sulfur (organic) as the buds were breaking, and every two weeks thereafter. I also pruned back some of the leaves to get more light to the remaining leaves and fruit.

Result: No mildew!

o

Maybe ill try the sulfur. Thanks! And you feel comfortable eating the grapes?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here