Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Male plant for 'Issai' Hardy Kiwi 2

Posted by glenn_russell 6b, RI (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 08 at 20:38

Hi All-
I tried posting this earlier as a reply in another post, but it never brought the posting to the top of the forum. So, I'm reposting it as a new question...

Hi Kiwinut / all
Hopefully people wont mind me bringing up an old post.
I recently purchased a supposedly self-fertile female Issai hardy Kiwi. According to this post though, it looks like I should also plant a male pollinator of some sort. Do you have a favorite variety for zone 6b? Id prefer to keep the size smaller if possible. Id probably have to order it Bareroot next spring.
2nd question I had planned to grow the vine on a vertical, extendible piece of painted galvanized iron pipe with smaller horizontal steps on it (using "T"s). The base of the pipe is down about 3-4 feet in the ground. I had seen somewhere that this plant only got to 10 or so tall, but now I just saw elsewhere that it can get to 25. Is my way of attempting to grow this plant unadvisable? Im afraid I dont have any fences that I could grow it on. Anybody have any pictures of the growing asaii that theyd like to share? Thanks,
-Glenn

Here is a link that might be useful: Original posting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Male plant for 'Issai' Hardy Kiwi 2

Glenn,

Any male will probably work well enough. The male (Meader?) that is commonly sold with 'Anna' should work well, as 'Anna' is mid to late blooming like Issai.

Issai is self-pollinating, but not self-fertile. The non-viable pollen will set fruit on Issai, but not on other females. You will get more fruit and larger fruit with a male pollinator. It is not as vigorous as most pure argutas, so it is pretty easy to manage. I have a couple in 3 gallon containers that fruit well, that I keep at 3-4 ft tall, so you should not have any problems keeping it under control on your trellis.

Males can be pruned back really hard after they bloom, as much as 90% once they reach maturity, so they can be managed much more easily than most females. Most of the female varieties need to get really big to bloom, but males tend to bloom at an earlier age and smaller size.

~kiwinut

o

Thank you Kiwinut for the info!!!!
-Glenn

o

Hi Kiwinut-
Well, 10 months later, I'm now ready to get my pollinators. My local nursery has both "September Sun Artic Beauty" and "Pasha Artic Beauty Kiwi". Do you think that either of those will be a good match for my Issai? Thanks,
-Glenn

o

Glenn,
Did you ever plant the Arctic Beauty with the Isshai? I am looking to do just that and wonder how it worked out for you.
-Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here