Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
one branch of ripe cherries evrything else hard and green

Posted by windfall_rob vt4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 20:40

I have a native pin cherry on the edge of the orchard. about 4-5 years ago I cut it at chest height and grafted to the watersprouts the next spring. That tree got mesabi (I thought).

Presently the new canopy is built from 2 of those grafts. Walking by today all of one graft has beautiful ripe cherries. These are not cherries going soft and pink before they drop off. These are nice mahogany cherries, translucent skin and quite tasty though definitely still a pie cherry. They are small, slightly larger than a dime with clear flesh near the pit and colored flesh near the skin.

I was pretty astounded. All of the other varieties I am growing are still hard green balls, most have dropped all their fruit with the cold and rain. And although we have only had a few sporadic cherries ripen i the past. this seems really early for our area.

I assume I have a errant graft from another cultivar.....any thoughts ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: one branch of ripe cherries evrything else hard and green

I second your assumption, Rob, but go with it. As my brother would quote, "Well, if you get a good horse, ride it".

We get enough errant failures, why not take an errant success when we can, ay?

:-)M

o
RE: one branch of ripe cherries evrything else hard and green

I am hoping to put a name to the cultivar.

There can't be that many options given that I'm zone 4 and this thing ripens super early....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here