Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_russell_gw

My new graft labels

glenn_russell
14 years ago

Hi everyone. A recent post got me thinking that I really wasnÂt happy with my current cruddy pie-plate-foil graft labels, and decided to look for a better solution for my prized (in a couple years anyway) front yard trees. I realize that, like my iron pipe trellises, that this is really over-kill and many people will say "WhatÂs the point", etc. But, thatÂs ok, I like Âem and perhaps someone else will too. It got me in touch with my artsy side and a good amount of cabernet kept me company for the ride.

Here is where I got the letter beads.

The stainless steel wire I got from my local hardware store. (30 ft of 19 Gauge wire for $4)

The hard part is keeping the beads from spinning. At first, I was flattening the wire, and then softening the beads in the oven (300 degrees for 90 seconds) and pushing them onto the flattened wire. That was too much like work, and some of the beads get squished. In the end, I went back to my simpler method of a toothpick and a toothpick dab of 5 minute epoxy between beads.

Perhaps someone will have a way to improve on the idea?

-Glenn

{{gwi:116808}}

{{gwi:116810}}

{{gwi:116811}}

Comments (12)

• Scott F Smith
    14 years ago

Glenn you win the prize for originality! I would say the biggest problem with labels is making ones that last for 10-20 years. It is surprising all the bad things that can happen over a long time of being out in freezing cold, roasting heat, and sizzling sun. For your designs, the black paint may chip off or fade and the glue will probably eventually give out, but as long as you have the wire holding the beads on you should be able to make the name out.

Scott

• myk1
    14 years ago

They look like those old newborn bracelets at hospitals.

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

Looking good Glenn!
    Like Scott...I fear for things fading, falling off, ultraviolet sunray deteriation of plastic etc.

In the nursery I use masking tape marker and pencil,... did you know that pencil stay longer then permanent markers?
    I re - do them every spring because things always change frequently. Old Venation blind / pensil would stay for many years, they are already treated for UV ray.
    Some trees in the orchard I have labels with aluminum strips, over 15 years old and still good. Used roof flashing material from home depot, comes in a roll, cut with sheet metal snip, find it's heavier then pop cane metal and makes nicer tags. Have used a electric engraver, next time I will try a dremmel. As for wires...old motor windings work well, it's free!
    You can punch a hole with a nail....years ago I used to punch with a punch I build, it worked great, similar to a paper punch but sronger, somehow it desapeard.

Konrad

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

Draw little numeric point values on the beads, then claim you are a hardscrabble farmer.

• marknmt
    14 years ago

Very Nice, Glenn! And mebbe they would have the added benefit of discouraging birds?

Geologists have something similar to the aluminum can trick, except that there's two layers of aluminum separated by a piece of paper, I think. They write on the aluminum with ball point and it impresses very easily. I imitate that with folded pieces of can and it works OK. I use aluminum wire (leftover from electrical work) to hang them.

Nowhere near as pretty as Glenn's beads, though. Now if you could just find a ten year old girl to do it for you you'd be all set.

FWIW, I never close the loops completely, so that as the limb grows it won't be girdled.

:-)M

• wildforager
    14 years ago

I've used these aluminum tags. They work well and last forever. Just write on them with a pen (and a heavy hand to emboss the letters) and hang them where you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aluminum Plant Tags

• glenn_russell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys!

Yeah, photodegradation is what I'm most worried about. The letters are recessed, so I don't think you'd loose the information (for a while anyway), but they might become harder to read. I do also have my yard-plant-map as a backup source of the info. If they do fade quickly, I'll report back here. Time will tell!

myk1 - In a way, aren't these trees are babies too?!

marknmt - Right... I'm aware that overtime, they might girdle the branch. But, I have to walk by this tree a few times a day, so I'll be sure and keep a lookout for that.

If it turns out this idea doesn't work out, I'm sure I'll just go with the aluminum tags.

Have a good one guys...
    -Glenn

• patapscomike
    14 years ago

Brilliant! I've been trying to figure this out for years, while my wife makes name bracelet after name bracelet. How it could not have occurred to me sooner is beyond me.

My wife has some like this http://www.namebeads.com/lettercubes.html that have the letter carved into them. I think hers are pewter. Here is another kind that are acrylic http://www.guildnav.com/chainable-black-and-white-letter-cubes-for-diy-apparels-7mm-a-p-14899.html Even if they fade, they will be legible.

You can get these at most craft stores like Michaels very inexpensively.

I would suggest not writing the whole thing out. You don't need to spell out "yellow transparent"- "ylw tnspt" or even "yt" is cheaper and more discreet.

• glenn_russell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Pat-
    Glad you like the idea.... I've never played with beads... it just kinda came to me. Good thought about the abbreviated labels using pewter! (I knew someone might be able to improve on the idea!)

For the plastic, I actually like seeing them fully spelled out. If, for no other reason, it's nice that the wife no longer has an excuse to say "Now which tree was that one again?"!!

-Glenn

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

You're right Glenn, sometimes when I cut it short, I can't figure out myself down the road!...LOL

Konrad

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Glenn wins hands down! I use copper signs with the names written in forcefully with a ballpoint pen, so the name remains after the ink is gone. Works well. The signs go into the ground. I have not figured out a way to name my five combo pear until I saws Glenn's glass letters. Will the black ink wear off of the beads? Mrs. G

• glenn_russell
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi MrsG47-
    Thanks!
    I've seen no signs of photo-degradation, nor ink fading since I put them on. So far so good here!
    -Glenn

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH