Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry Leaves Brown

Posted by northernvirginiadi 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 20:53

Hi,

I've had my blueberry plants for three years and each year the leaves turn brown. I'm pretty certain it is not lack of watering as this happens even when we get lots of rain. I get berries but not much. The foliage isn't full like it should be.

This year they are in pots (because of work being done to the house). They will be transplanted back into the ground in fall. In previous years I've had them in raised beds mixed in with lots of peat. The soil acidity was 5.5 a few years back when I planted them. I haven't tested since but do add sulfur each fall.

There is one blueray, one patriot and one jersey.

Any help is appreciated!

di

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluberries

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry Leaves Brown

If it does that every year on all three plants I would suggest getting rid of those and buying some new plants. Looks like a fungus or disease to me. If its a fungus its obvioulsy spread to all the blueberry bushes. Just start new this year with some 2 year old plants from a distributor and you will right back in it come next spring.

o
RE: Blueberry Leaves Brown

What did you use for potting mix in those containers?
And how deep is the growing media?

Doesn't look like any disease. Rather, drought stress. Now you get to figure out why.

In any event, my opinion is rather than replant these, you'd be better off starting anew with fresh plants come spring. Once damaged, blueberries seldom recover enough to do well again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here