Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nelson_ny

tiny apricot buds have disappeared

nelson_ny
10 years ago

This is the 3rd year in the ground for my apricot tree and it has been doing very well, lots of blossoms turning into (very) small apricot fruit. I was looking forward to a decent harvest when one day... they were all gone! My wife thinks the birds got them, while I thought they only went for ripe fruit, not tiny unripe green babies. Anybody had a similar experience? If birds, what's the solution, netting?

Comments (15)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

They dropped off, probably because they weren't pollinated or the tree wasn't up to supporting them. This is normal.

• Charlie
    10 years ago

Yes, ltilton is correct. Apricots often require a second variety to get good fruit set. One of my trees died and this year all of my fruit dropped off. If you can't plant another apricot tree, consider grafting another variety onto your tree.

• nelson_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, the fruit actually set, so I don't see how pollination can be the issue; however, they disappeared at a very young stage, when they were 1/4" diameter at the most and totally green.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

Usually the issue is frost. Anything below 28F after bloom and the fruit can be lost. 24F and usually they are all lost.They shrivel up and fall off.

• franktank232
    10 years ago

Apricots at this stage, even in my temperate rainforest climate (at least this year), should be the size of a quarter...if you are in zone 6, they should be even larger... If they were that small, there is something going... Sometimes trees just drop fruit. My Hunza apricot dropped probably 95% of its fruit so far...it had great pollination, and the fruit were growing, but it just dropped them anyways...weather, age of the tree, who knows...

• nelson_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I gather nobody thinks the birds (or any other form of wildlife) are the culprits?

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

It took four years for my Harglow apricot to hold onto four apricots. For three seemingly long years I watched the small quarter inch baby apricots drop. The tree was just too immature to hold fruit. I did plant two new apricots of different varieties for pollination (even thought both varieties are supposed to be self-fertile). Nope, don't think its your birds. Mrs. G

• insteng
    10 years ago

My plum trees did the same thing. They were completely covered with pea sized plums then a week later they all fell off. My tree is still only a couple years old so I think it is too young to hold them.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

You know the idea of fruit dropping off young trees is not something I ever recall seeing except in the year of planting. Maybe it has something to do with weather. We get more sun here than many areas. If my second year or older trees bloom they hold the fruit as well as mature trees.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 11:55

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Fruitnut I believe you are probably right! We get more rain, fog and cloudly days. Fog is not great for to fruit trees.

• insteng
    10 years ago

"You know the idea of fruit dropping off young trees is not something I ever recall seeing except in the year of planting. Maybe it has something to do with weather. "

That was probably the problem with mine. We had a lot of late freezes this year. The plums put on very early this year.

• insteng
    10 years ago

"You know the idea of fruit dropping off young trees is not something I ever recall seeing except in the year of planting. Maybe it has something to do with weather. "

That was probably the problem with mine. We had a lot of late freezes this year. The plums put on very early this year.

• HU-237493155
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This also happened to me Last year. My Apricot tree budded small Apricots about the size of a Nickel all over the tree. I went out a week or so later and they Vanished. They did not drop as Nothing was on the ground beneath the tree. Not so

much as a trace of one . This year I brought two witnesses and took pictures and video of the new buds which are as before. If they Vanish this time I’m calling the National Enquirer .

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Fruit can appear without proper pollination. But it will never mature and does tend to drop off rather early after formation.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath