Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Combo Plum Tree: What could explain this?

Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 21:09

I have a 5-year-old combo plum with three varieties. This spring it leafed out fully and blossomed well, and then about 6-8 weeks ago, as the blossoms started to wilt, I also lost about 2/3 of the leaves on one side of the tree. One part of the tree stayed fully green and the other side was bare branches. I thought maybe it was on its last legs and considered removing it. However, I noticed that the bare branches all had lots of fruit forming. Several weeks later, the branches are re-leafing and the fruit continues to grow in size. At the time of the leaf drop, the temperatures were cool, but above freezing. Anyone care to guess what caused this? Here is a picture of the recovering tree:

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Combo Plum Tree: What could explain this?

Well, my best guess would be that there is some type of damage to the tissue somewhere towards the base of that branch, either an infection, canker or lesion, or it has been girdled, or is suffering some kind of graft rejection. When branches do weird things like that, I usually find something wrong in the wood when I cut them off. Verticillium is the #1 thing that comes to mind when some branches on a tree are dead or dying and others look normal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Extension publication about verticillium

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here