Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best stone fruit varieties for NM

Posted by texasjg 6 Socorro NM (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 21:10

Anyone out there living in central New Mexico? I'm at 4600', hot hot hot summers, cold winters and 9" avg rainfall I'd like to plant some fruit trees, peach, plum, cherry, apple, apricot . Good amount of space for semi dwarf or dwarf trees but not enough room for several varieties of each, so need self pollinators. There are lots of mature fruit trees here that are doing well, just no one knows the varieties any longer.

First thoughts:
Lapins cherry
Harcot apricot
Braeburn apple
Red haven peach
Stanley plum

Thanks for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best stone fruit varieties for NM

You might try Tomcot, Montrose, and Robada apricots; Fuji, Pink Lady, and Goldrush apples; Gold Dust, Surecrop, Redglobe, and Redskin peach; Olympic asian pear; Flavor King and Flavor Grenade pluot; and Arctic Star and Arctic Jay nectarines. Not all self fertile but all very good eating quality.

o

I figured Fruitnut would come through for you.

Fruitnut, do you know any European plums that might do well there? Anyone else?

Asian pears have their limitations, not good for much in the kitchen, for instance. E pears are less vulnerable to late frost here in the northeast. E plums I think are also very nice for culinary purposes as well as fresh eating. Pluots are pretty wet for this.

Fruitnut goes for highest brix fruit but I don't know if he cooks much with it.

o

Only European plum I've fruited was in Amarillo, a similar climate to Socorro NM. It made good fruit but the tree died after a few crops. I tried some others but didn't get much fruit.

o

Thanks, y'all, good suggestions. We mostly do fresh eating, but I do like to can when I have overloads. My favorite peach recipe (after jam) to make is Peach Liqueur ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here