Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Doyle's blackberrys

Posted by cinandtim none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 21:16

Planted, 7 Doyle's plants about 3 weeks ago. Raised row, good ph, compost and aged manure mixed in. I have been babying these plants and today when I went to check noticed something had pulled them out of ground, probably deer or rabbit. My question is in looking at plants it doesn't look like roots were even thinking of growing. Anyone else have similar experience?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Doyle's blackberrys

I have Doyle's blackberry, just one plant and I think I remember it was kind of slow to start first year. Not 100% sure, it was 5-6 years ago. Want to say that it was worth waiting. This blackberry production is outstanding. I have it side by side with Triple Crown and it produces probably 4-5 times more berries, even though TC is quite productive too. Really amazing.
Olga

o
RE: Doyle's blackberrys

We had 20 planted and as long as you live in a place where it cools down at night or if not they're planted in an area with afternoon shade, they'll do great. We live down near Montgomery AL and they started to ripen in late June when it's 90+ during the day and a humid 70+ degrees at night. We would get a couple of pickings and then they would burn up in the heat.

However, as Olga mentioned, they are slow to start, but once they do, they are quite hardy growers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here