itheweatherman

Satsuma plums

itheweatherman
9 years ago

My satsuma plums are almost ready.

Comments (10)

• brownmola
    9 years ago

I'm jealous. Do you have a pollinator for it? I have a beauty plum that is supposed to pollinate it but it doesn't produce a lot of flowers and they don't seem to flower at the same time.

• fireduck
    9 years ago

Nice looking tree and fruit! They were my dad's favorite plum. They are really sweet. My Santa Rosa is the pollinizer.

• itheweatherman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the pollinators are my neighbor's plums, however, I don't know the variety.

One is a green skined plum: extremely sweet, honey-like flavor, very juicy.

The other is a red plum: Very hard, poor flavor, clingstone, not very juicy; Here is a picture. Can somebody ID this plum, please.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Satsuma is a solid red fleshed plum. Glad you like the fruit anyway. Who sold you the tree?

• fireduck
    9 years ago

think he was talking about the red plum that is his neighbor's pollinizer...

• itheweatherman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First picture s my Satsuma plum; Second picture are my neighboor's plums (unknown variety)---would you ID this plum?

I bought it at Home Depot about eight years ago.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

It's color looks like Ozark Premier, but they are much bigger- huge things like baseballs. They also seem to be self thinning so failure to do that wouldn't explain smaller size. But this is based on how they do in NE NY.

Sorry about the rush to judgement. I read these things while having my morning coffee at dawn- apparently the caffeine hadn't clicked in yet, or maybe it's just not working anymore.

Satsuma is an excellent plum that I only found out performs well in the NE in the last five years. I thought it was a CA plum only where I used to eat them as a boy. .

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

The Satsumas in the top picture look nowhere near ready to me. They should hang all colored for a few weeks. If you don't taste clove in them they are not ripe yet.

Satsuma is my favorite plum, it tastes great and is super easy to grow. I was ignorant that I should not be growing California plums when I planted it a dozen years ago; occasionally you get lucky. I was less lucky on the next-door pluot, my Flavor Supreme has set exactly one fruit for the second year in a row.

Scott

• fireduck
    9 years ago

Scott is correct about those Satsumas not being ripe.

• itheweatherman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are now ripe...well the bottom ones. I'm thinking of making plum jam this week.