Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum tree advise

Posted by Shay_Mason Ca (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 21:24

We bought our house about a year ago and aquired trees that were not very well taken care of. I have two trees that grow fruit. One is plum and the other is orange. I have no clue what kind of plum tree this is. And its ugly as sin. I dont know the first thing about fruit trees. Can anybody identify this plum tree and give me a hint on what to do? I am very new to this and appreciate all the info you can give. I live in Fair Oaks CA by the way. If that helps. Thanks
Shay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum tree advise

A closeup shot of the plums would be helpful. As well as a look at the inside of the plum. Tasting it would also help. In california Santa rosa plum is very common. It is purple skin with an amber flesh that is tinged with red.

o

Here is the close up of the actual plum. It is purple with amber flesh. But thats all I really know. Also the trees are pretty congested. I have cut back some of the higher branches from a neighboring tree to try and shed some sunlight to the brances of the plum tree. Dont know if it helped.

o

The leaves look like Santa Rosa Plum's.Does the fruit have a fairly round shape? Brady

o

Yes. They are pretty much round in shape. There are a few odd shaped ones,but not much.

o

Hows the flavor? Santa rosa (at least the ones I have tasted) had a tart skin and a sweet flesh. I would I agree with many of the more experienced members of this forum that pluots are vastly superior. Have you checked on the braches/limbs to see if the previous owner left the tags on the tree? They might be hidden under all that fruit :).

o

Looks more like a Damson.

Here is a link that might be useful: DAMSON PLUM

o

Its hard to tell in the picture for sure but it looks like that tree isn't so bad. Nice open shape.

o

From the picture and your description and location, you have a Santa Rosa. After the fruit is gone, I would prune it to a manageable shape and remove all of the under growth and debris around the tree. I'd also do a mulched 6ft. wide ring around the tree and keep it weed free. The tree will pretty much take care of itself. Once you've done this, post again this winter and we'll tell you how to get quality fruit from this tree.

o

Goyo626- The flavor is pretty sweet. I will look tonight and see if I can find any tags anywhere on the branches themselves.
Rayrose- Thank you for the advise. I have never pruned a tree so not sure how far back it should be pruned. I have so many trees in this back yard, but am unsure how to prune and when to prune.
Thank you to everyone for your input. I will check back if I have anymore questions.

o

Prune the tree to a size where you can work with it from the ground, without having to get on a ladder.

o

So I should prune it closer to fall or winter time?

o

I'd prune it after the fruit is gone and while you're cleaning it up. Do it all at the same time.

o

Thank you! I appreciate the good advise!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here