Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pomegranate leaves drying out

Posted by Viandroto 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 21:25

So I live in Las Vegas and brought over (from Southern CA) a Angel Red pomegranate. It's been about a week, still in the 5 gallon pot, and so far so good. Except the leaves have started to dry up on some of the branches, not turning yellow or anything, but simply drying to a crisp. I'm assuming it's just acclimating itself to the hotter weather, but my boyfriend believes it's not retaining enough water in it's pot so he decided to fill up a bottom tray with water for it to sit in. I'm thinking that's a bad idea and this will kill the pomegranate for sure. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pomegranate leaves drying out

Sounds like your tree may be not getting enough water. Check to see if the soil has dried out to the point of become hydrophobic. If so, soak and soak until the soil will absorb water. The other possibility is the tree is rootbound, and unable to keep and absorb water. I agree with your boyfriend, but a tray underneath is not the solution at all. Sitting in water is not a good thing, it will simply cause the roots to rot. Re-potting into a much larger pot, with well draining potting mix, or into the ground is in order.

Patty S.

o

Decided to just plant it in the ground tonight. Mixed the native soil with some coir fiber to help drainage. It didn't seem to be rootbound at all. My guess would be the climate change, and possible change of conditions (amount of sun, shade, watering, etc) are causing the leaves the dry out. I'm sure the pot was heating up the roots too. In any case, hopefully it survives and thrives now it's in the ground.

o

Its the hot sun. Pomegranate leaves do not adapt well to sudden shifts in sun levels. I had 5 poms growing inside this spring and when I planted them out all the leaves got horribly sunburned. As long as the plant doesn't die it will sprout new leaves in a month or less and you will be OK. You could also consider putting up a shade cloth to shade the afternoon sun if its looking really bad.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here