Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving my Peaches from squirrels,

Posted by fredinva Z7 SW Va (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 21:26

other than loading my Browning 20 ga.!!
Saturday my small peach tree had at least 36 nice ripening peaches. They have been caught in the act, carrying away whole peaches!!!!
It's usually the deer, they leave the pits under the tree.
But these little rodents are about to enter WWIII!!!
About a dozen peaches are remaining. Any suggestions?

fred

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving my Peaches from squirrels,

That is a common topic here, if the search is working you can pull up many threads, just search for squirrel. I use traps and a good pellet gun, plus several cats on patrol. The pellet gun has proved to be the most effective for me.

Scott

o

I had a young robin feasting on ripe strawberries yesterday. I'm off pellet gun shopping today.

Get rid of the problem.

o

Frank, I have too many birds to attempt to thin them. If you manage to succeed one week, a new batch will fly in the next week. I would use netting for strawberries.

Scott

o

This year, I build elaborate PVC enclosures for my straberries. 3/4 PVC painted brown with bird netting over the top. Keeps the cat birds getting my strawberries! Works like a charm. Now, the chimpmunks area eating them. Ahhhhhhh! Got got some rodent traps and got out my pellet gun. *sigh*. -Glenn

o

But what about the peaches? I have the same problem with the squirrels. If they ate one or two peaches, that's one thing. But they ruin dozens!

No, I can't shoot them within city limits. And even if I had a car and could relocate them, more would just come in to fill the gap.

o

Well, it's too late this year. Only 3 of the original 36 peaches left. I expect they will be gone after golf today!!!
the 20ga. will be ready next spring!!

fred
(oh, I am way out in the sticks)

o

lilacs of may:

In addition to scottfsmith's suggestion to search this site for "squirrel," I discovered a great site for squirrel control.

I followed the methods described thereon and now have my squirrel problem under control. I'm in So. California. I still have to keep my traps set 24/7/365, but I get bothered with only about one a month in the "off seasons" and maybe four a month in the "on seasons." The "on seasons" are about three weeks in the spring and three weeks in the fall. This is not a problem compared to the seven or so every week when I started.

The guy who runs the site is a very knowledgeable pro and provides free invaluable help online to folks in the east who have rogue squirrels literally invading their homes!

Squirrel Control Pages:
(read everything including the pop-ups)
http://unexco.com/SQ1.html

Squirrel Control Forum Message Board:
http://unexco.com/squirrel/squirrel.mv

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Squirrel Control Pages

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here