Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtburton_gw

Raspberry Harvest

jtburton
9 years ago

Grabbed a few ripe raspberries for breakfast tomorrow...

Comments (12)

• colonel_kernel
    9 years ago

Looks delicious. Beautiful berries! Good work.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Looks good! i got 14 today, everyday more will be ripe. i should be at 25 a day by the end of the week. I have to leave for 4 days, back for a few hours, then gone 10 days. I'm going to have to employ somebody to harvest the berries, water the plants. What's cool about growing a lot of raspberries is this harvest will continue till mid Novemeber yes! I have enough where I really have no gap between summer and fall harvest. I have enough cultivars that fruit at different times.

• Molex 7a NYC
    9 years ago

4 different varieties in that photo?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Looks like two different yellows, so i would say 5. Maybe not? I only have 2 producing, 3 by tomorrow. I'm a half zone away, seems accurate

• jtburton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Five (5) is the correct answer... ;-)

1) Jewel black raspberry
    2) Caroline red raspberry (smaller red raspberry).. floricane crop
    3) Royalty purple raspberry
    4) Anne yellow raspberry... floricane crop
    5) Cascade Delight (big red raspberry)

The Jewel and Caroline are leftovers from 2 days ago and now have stopped producing. Black Mac black raspberry is about a week away from producing and the berries are about twice as large as the Jewel black raspberries, which give me hope for improved fruit quality from Jewel next year.

I will have Fall crops for Caroline, Anne, and Double Gold and will likely move to a single, Fall crop going forward.

• bob_z6
    9 years ago

Here's some Prelude raspberries which I picked yesterday (my first type each year). They've really started to come, though we got the first on 6/19. This is a bit later than in past years, due to the cold spring:

2012- 6/4 (really warm March)
    2013- 6/15
    2014- 6/19

In comparison to late last summer, it's really nice to not have any SWD. I'll be watching for their first arrival.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Bob,

Himbo Top beat Prelude here, with SWD you may want to look at those too. I don't think they as good as Prelude. they are sweeter, which i don't like. They are very prolific, but so is Prelude, maybe more so. Himbo though just keeps coming during the fall crop.
    They are fall bearing but the summer crop comes early.

• jtburton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not certain I have had SWD arrive yet but the stink bug population is on he upswing. My wife had a raspberry last night that had been "stink bugged", which means it had the flavor of stinkbug. I'm really trying to limit the use of sprays on my fruit, so I'll keep squishing them as fast as I see them.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

I saw this easy to make Stinkbug trap on Youtube,Jeremy,which may help. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade Stinkbug Trap

• jtburton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Brady...I'll have to give it a try. I hate stinkbugs.

• Molex 7a NYC
    9 years ago

SWD are not active above, 86 degrees f. I may try and shoot for late blooming summer varieties depending on this summer, crossing my fingers, I have some vinegar traps outs for early identification.

• bob_z6
    9 years ago

Last year, Prelude, Wineberries, and Royalty (a late season summer purple raspberry) missed the SWD. But all the fall bearing raspberries were massively impacted. To the point that I gave up on everything but Anne. Any berry I picked was either pretty unripe and often still had a worm (which I ate plenty of), or inedible mush which tastes terrible (spitters).

I think the SWD got bad around the 2nd week of August, after the 1st half of the Triple Crown blackberries (which were great). The 2nd half were hit pretty bad, though I'm still eating some Jam I made out of them and the elderberries.

Thanks for the heads up on Himbo Top Drew. I may look into it, but I've pretty much put berry additions on hold to see how things shake out with SWD. I even removed 2 sections worth of the fall-bearing reds (Caroline and Autumn Bliss), to replant with Muscadines and (even more) apples.

This post was edited by bob_z6 on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 23:44