Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pear leaf spot

Posted by creekweb 6,7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 21:38

I have a 12 year old Bartlett pear that I topworked to several Asian varieties and 2 additional Ubileen grafts about 5 years ago. This year I noticed leaf spot for the first time in my orchard, involving only this tree and only on the Bartlett and Ubileen sections. I removed the remaining branches with Bartlett leaves and sprayed the tree with myclobutanil. No signs of psylla.
I'm considering now what to do with the Ubileen part of the tree. This consists of two 5 year old multibranched grafts, each about 8 feet long. I'm considering pruning them back sharply, heading off each lateral shortly after it comes off the leader, so that no leaves will be left on that part of the tree. This has the advantage of removing all diseased leaves from the orchard and hopefully keeping the disease from spreading to my other pear trees and not significantly damaging the Ubileen .From those experienced managing this disease I would appreciate your comments on my proposed plan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here