Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's with my Italian Plum?

Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 21:46

I live in the Pacific NW, and have a beautiful, healthy-looking Italian Plum tree that I planted about 5 years ago. It puts out lots of blossoms each year, but it hardly ever produces any plums: last year I got 6 plums, this year it looks like there is one! I have 4 other fruit trees nearby that were planted about the same time -- combo and single species -- and they are all well-loaded with fruit. Can anyone suggest what might be going on?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's with my Italian Plum?

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 2:23

Is it getting too much fertilizer? It looks like it has 2 feet of new growth or more already and it is only June.

o

murky-
An inspired guess...but I actually don't fertilize any of my fruit trees. The odd thing is that there are three other plum trees within a ten foot radius of this one that are putting out fruit, and all are planted in similar soil and have similar sun exposures.

o

You didn't mention what nearby loaded fruit trees are. Are any of them European plums providing cross pollination? Self-fertility is relative and even varieties that are heralded is such are often marginally so.

I actually find Italian plums to be unreliable croppers here in southeastern NY, even when surrounded by compatible pollinators. Some sites get moderate production but on my own property I've one that has never given me a decent crop. I just keep it to help pollinate a Valor that I originally planted in the same hole.

o

My Italian plum tree took six years for a decent crop. I've found the Italian plum takes the longest to mature.

o

Hi Kudzu! I've had my Italian plum for four years now and only this year has it set about 30 plums. I have my fingers crossed they won't drop. Love the plum though. Mrs. G

o

Harvestman-
The other plum tree varieties in my yard that are loaded with fruit are European: Stanley, Yellow Egg, Seneca, Victoria, and Early Laxton.

theaceofspades and MrsG47- I'll try to be optimistic that the Italian plum is just starting to mature and next year will be different!

o

I've learned, slowly but surely that all of my fruit trees take TIME, and spray. It will all work out!

o

Ive read that Italian plums take many years to set fruit. Plus they need like 800 chill hours.

o

Same here. Italian plum was transplanted three years ago, and I only have a few plums despite prolific blooming, meanwhile the Japanese plums planted at the same time are doing much better. All look healthy though with strong growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here