Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
American persimmon pollination distance, male to female tree?

Posted by girlfromthegarden z5 Indy metro (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 21:47

A quick question to those who may know -

I planted two female American persimmons in April 2006 - one grafted (Dickie), one (SAA Pieper) on own roots from a known female tree (source: John Gordon, upper NY state). Both trees have thrived and are beautiful, the grafted female nearing 17', and the other having had more modest growth by being more shaded, but both are mature and healthy.

The faster-growing tree flowered and bore fruit last year for the first time (seeded, very good tasting,). I opened up the area to let more light onto the smaller persimmon last summer, and this year both trees are flowering heavily. There are a known female and male persimmon pair (mature trees, close to 30' tall, from the old farmstead which sold property to make the subdivision) located slightly over 1/4 mile from my yard. I'm fairly certain it was this male tree which provided pollen for my tree last spring.

Question: Is this distance fairly typical for bee pollination efforts to be successful? I passed the neighborhood male tree this evening while out walking and saw it loaded with flowers, some not yet open, others with a bee on the blossoms even with the cooler temperatures and later hour in the day. My temptation is to cut a (small) branch with male flowers on it and bring it to my yard, where I could place it in a jar with water closer to my own trees, once they're a little farther along opening their flowers,

But perhaps this is overkill?
If the bees in the area normally travel across the back yards "in search of" open blossoms, hopefully they would find all the persimmons within a mile of mine. I'd like to ensure good pollination, especially with the smaller female tree finally blooming.

Not even sure whether I'd know the right timing on bringing the branch, or if the branch-in-water would let the male flowers stay open very long. Advice on whether this would help at all?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: American persimmon pollination distance, male to female tree?

Gftg,
You can cut a branch and place it in a old one gallon milk jug and make sure you add water to it every couple of days. I would duct taped it to the trunk of the smaller tree. In addition, you can also hand pollinated with a fine art brush to ensure some fruits. You can also freeze some pollens if the trees bloom at a different time. You Can also hope for windy days and let the bees to do their job. Lastly, you can watch YouTube and learn how to bark graft. Collect your male scionwoods in late February and wrapping it with moist paper towel and place in a zip lock bag. Put the bag in the refrig until your trees leafed out some time in May then you can start grafting. Make sure you rub off all the new shoots below your graft union every couple of days until the shoots stop. This is important because you want all the nutrients go to feed the scion. Good luck.

Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here