Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paw Paw leaves turning black

Posted by ribs1 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 21:49

Hello,
I received 2 small paw paw trees a few weeks ago from one green world and planted them in pots. I used a mix of about 70% peat, 10% pine bark and 20% native soil. I have been watering every few days.
Today I noticed some of the leaves turning black on the edges. Is this transplant shock? Too much sunlight? Wrong potting mix?
Please help
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paw Paw leaves turning black

Were they bare root or in pots when you got them? Did they have leaves when you got them? If they leafed out in the sun, I would guess it's not too much sunlight. If they had leaves when you got them, they may be sensitive to the sun, depending on the conditions at One Green World.

I bought a potted paw paw from One Green World several years ago. I planted it in the ground after a few days, in a sunny spot, and it was OK. I recall the potting mix was mostly pine bark, but the mix you made should be OK.

Alex

o

These were potted plants and already leafed out. Will they recover? Should I give them more shade?

o

How tall are they? Pawpaws cannot tolerate direct sunlight for the first year or so. If they're under about 2 feet tall, you should keep them in shade at all times.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here