Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
second opinion on apple tree spraying

Posted by grovestead 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 21:49

We planted a small orchard of a dozen apple trees this spring (mixed variety). Our vendor told us we will need to spray every other week. But we also have honeybees and I don't want to have an negative impact on them.

What is an _effective_ spray that won't harm honeybees?

When do I first apply the spray?

How often should I be spraying?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: second opinion on apple tree spraying

Basically you don't spray while the trees are in bloom and the bees are around. You can spray up until the buds get pink tips, then again just after petal fall.

Really depends what you are spraying for as to when and how frequently. I have apple scab issues, so I'm best to spray with a fungicide when the leaves first show, maybe again just before bloom (pink tip), then again after petal drop, maybe again 10 days after that. Technically I should probably continue spraying every 10-14 days into August, but with scab it is the initial spring infection that can destroy a crop, secondary infections once summer has set in cause very little problem so you really only need to spray for that if you want all of your apples to be perfect.

Apple maggot or other insects are a different matter. I've never had problems with those so don't spray for them and can't really offer any advice there.

o
RE: second opinion on apple tree spraying

I agree that it depends where you are, but equally, it should depend on what you see. i manage about a hundred orchards in about a 140 mile range north of NYC and have learned i can get sound apples with usually only two sprays all season. Been doing this for 25 years here.

You will need to mix two materials- Triazide and Immunox and apply once at petal fall and again 10-14 days later and if apple fly maggots don't show up that may well be all you need all season.

It is very bad advice to suggest spraying every two weeks with no idea about what you are gunning for. Your vendor shouldn't be dispensing advice on managing fruit trees, IMO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here