Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No new black raspberry canes from crown

Posted by Ghadames none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 21:54

I have a black raspberry plant that was planted two years ago. This year, there are flowers on last year's cane. However, I cannot seem to find any new canes growing from the crown, which I find really strange.

The plant looks healthy, nothing wrong with it. Is there anything I can do to stimulate new growth? I did put fertilizer in early spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No new black raspberry canes from crown

There is still hope for a Canadian plant to sprout protocanes, but time is running short. Two years is too soon for a blackcap clump to go into decline.

If there is only have a single cane after two years, the planting is off to a slow start. I would give it one more year.

Nothing you can do (cutting down the fruiting cane might shock it into sprouting a new cane, but that would be unsatisfactory).

I wouldn't rely on a single clump of caneberries for long-term harvest; always have two of any one variety. I have kept my blackcaps going for over 10 years by allowing some canes to tip root. I only have one of the four original clumps still producing, all other canes are from previous tip-roots, and I have never had to buy a new plant.

o

So there's really nothing I can do? I really don't want to cut off the fruiting cane. I'd rather buy another one if it dies.

I have no new cane tips to cut. I don't understand why it doesn't shoot a new cane. Doesn't want to survive? lol It looks all good and healthy, too!

o

It is strange. My black raspberry plant is fine. I guess blacks are a little more sensitive. I can report that Allen black raspberry took 13 nights below zero, three nights were double digit down to -14 degrees F. Only a small amount of the tips on floricanes died. Like an inch or two.
So you may want to look into that cultivar.
Here is a photo from the 4th of this month. One of 4 floricanes. The plant is amazing.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 23:24

o

Many of my blacks started late this year. Some of the new canes are still only 4 or 5 inches tall. If you are north of me, and you are, I'd give it another couple weeks. It was a crazy cold spring, But it is getting late.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here