Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SoCal mango tree updates?

Posted by shaneatwell sunset 23 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 22:13

I will be planting three or four mangoes this coming spring. Ive read several good threads here regarding varieties. Most of the posts discussed plans, purchases or recent plantings with a few from long time growers like mangodog. Are there any updates from all those plantings in 2005 and 2011?

Im leaning towards ataulfo, alphonso and haden based on flavor, lack of fiber and vigorous growth. Lots of poor clay soil here in inner carlsbad. Will also try several ataulfo from seed. Id like to space the seasons out but would rather have a healthy crop from a fast grower than a stingy, straggly, slow growing or frozen dead tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SoCal mango tree updates?

This is my ataulfo. I've had it for several years but last year is the first time I got fruit. Dogs ate the one and only surviving mango, though. This time, I fed it fish several times in the preceding year. I buried heads and used an emulsion. The fruit at the bottom right is about the size of a walnut. That is the biggest and the other ones all over the tree fall in somewhere between the other fruit pictured.

o
RE: SoCal mango tree updates?

Thanks for the thread and the pic. It's impressive to see that folks are growing mango successfully in your area.

But I do have to admit to some satisfaction at seeing what I'm assuming is cold damage on the edges of some leaves. Satisfaction because here in zone 6 there are so many things that get killed back by the winters that I always need a reminder that where ever you are, even Southern California, there are things that are challenging to grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here