Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any luck keeping mulberry smallish?

Posted by rehabbingisgreen (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 22:21

I have a smaller mulberry tree that came with the house and I'd like to keep it but it would be on the condition that it not grow large and I know these are large trees by nature. I'm wondering if I could keep it smaller or if it should go?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any luck keeping mulberry smallish?

It depends a lot on what type of mulberry it is, but I'm assuming it's a fruiting variety, many of which are smaller than the species.

In any event, as with other trees, summer pruning should be the best way to keep it small. You might even get a small second crop of berries as a result of this.

o

It is fruiting. I have a larger one here that does not set fruit, a couple smaller ones that will be cut down that haven't set fruit and this one. This is the only one that has fruit. I'd like to try to keep it. I'm thinking of pruning it soon if it won't cause too much damage to the tree. We just had a very large elm removed and now I can get to the mulberry and work on it.

o

Prune them like hell. You can stub them back or train them to a weep, but prune them a couple of times during the growing season and you can keep them in bounds. They bear on same year wood so as long as you keep smaller pieces of wood regenerating they can bear well no matter how you prune them.

o

Thank you harvestman,
I will be out there pruning this baby up.

o

• Posted by danzeb 7a long island (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 10:46

Here's a photo of my 3 year old, 4 1/2 ft, Illinois Everbearing Mulberry. It has about 100 berries on it. String and stacks in the ground are bending the branches and the center leader has been removed. Light weights on the grow tips can help shape growth also. If at some point it gets out of control I'll just start a new one. They grow and produce fast.

o

• Posted by danzeb 7a long island (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 10:47

Here's a photo of my 3 year old, 4 1/2 ft, Illinois Everbearing Mulberry. It has about 100 berries on it. String and stacks in the ground are bending the branches and the center leader has been removed. Light weights on the grow tips can help shape growth also. If at some point it gets out of control I'll just start a new one. They grow and produce fast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here