Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie cherry fungus questions

Posted by bosphorus NY (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 22:24

Hi everyone. I live in NYC and I got a free Montmorency Cherry Tree from the city in April. Now about 40% of the leaves are covered in yellow spots. Based on some reading here, I bought some Captan and Immunox. There are no flowers on the tree anymore but a few (two?) cherries. Is now any okay time to apply fungicide?

However the directions and warnings about the Captan scared me. I get the part about not injesting but how do we make the paste without any touching our skins or without inhaling any? It makes it sound like if you inhale a tiny bit, you will stop breathing.

Should we try washing the leaves with dish soap or taking off the affected leaves first? I hate to introduce something so toxic if other things might work... but the problem is getting exponentially worse (it just started about 2 weeks ago and is now almost half the tree) and I don't want the tree to die.

Thanks in advance from a newbie gardener.

Elizabeth laffected leaves first?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie cherry fungus questions

Don't succumb to alarmism about fungicides, just take reasonable precautions. You might post a photo of your problem to help identification. No use spraying anything until you know what it is.

o
RE: Newbie cherry fungus questions

Thanks. Yes I admit the warnings made me feel alarmist. :) I will try to post some photos here. I think this link should work.

Thanks -
Elizabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of cherry tree

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here