Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade loving fruits

Posted by iammarcus 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 22:27

Are there any shade loving fruits or berries in addition to pawpaws?
Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade loving fruits

Evergreen and Red Huckleberry,particularly the first one.If I think of or find more,I'll post them. Brady

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 22:43

Evergreen huckleberry prefers shade. Salal seems to grow and produce in the shade.

Aronia and honeyberry do well in part shade. In fact I think most berries will do okay in part shade.

o

Despite being in filtered light, satsumas, oranges, kumquats, grapefruit, peaches, calamondins, figs, mulberries, and blueberries produce well here, but the shaded muscadines are undersized.

o

Blackberries, black raspberries, and wineberries all do well in partial shade, and often grow wild in thinly/moderately forested areas where they get dappled sunlight.

Serviceberry and gooseberry, too, in partial shade.

o

Blackberries, black raspberries, and wineberries all do well in partial shade, and often grow wild in thinly/moderately forested areas where they get dappled sunlight.

Serviceberry and gooseberry, too, in partial shade.

o

A good amount of fruit bushes/trees will grow in some form of shade (dappled light for example), its a matter of a few things:

-Heat and sunlight. Full sun in Texas, is different than in Boston.

-IT isnt if the plant will survive, its a matter of fruit set. For most fruit, more sun = more fruit, but most will get away with a bit of less sun, given healthy soil. You wont know till you try.

-Currents, gooseberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, saskatoons (amelanchier) all grow naturally in forested areas, and get at least some part of the day in shade.

o

I grow gooseberries, honey berries, black and red currants in quite a bit of shade, but they do get dappled sun or direct sun for an hour or so. You are not going to have much in full or dense shade.

o

There is a naturalized and invasive bramble (most brambles can be invasive) that is often called wineberry that is amazing in its productivity in near total shade here. The fruit is raspberry like but blander and oranger. Still a pleasant fruit of some worth, IMO.

Edible Landscaping used to sell it under that name, and perhaps still does. It was the cover girl on EL's catalogue a few years back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here